Quilling or should I be worried? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By garrett53421
  • 1 Post By ArizonaHazelnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Quilling or should I be worried?

I have a male hedgehog named harry who is almost 4 months old. He has been losing a lot of quills which I assume is just quilling, but it looks like he is starting to develop a bald spot or something on his back. is this normal or should I be worried?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3518.jpg (166.4 KB, 40 views)
Scotty55 likes this.
garrett53421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

You should take Harry to the vet.

If I remember correctly, normal quilling shouldn't leave bald patches like that, amongst other things. Harry could have mites, a fungal or bacterial infection, or something else, and either way he'd need medication as treatment in that case.

Just in case you end up treating him for mites, keep in mind that you should not use Ivermectin in any form, because it's known to kill hedgehogs. A knowledgeable vet would prescribe Revolution, a topical treatment.

Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

That is not normal at all. By 4 months he should be done with quilling and even when they are quilling they don't get bald spots or bloody spots. He needs a vet visit asap since that is probably uncomfortable and even painful for him.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

UPDATE: We took Harry to the vet, they did a skin scrape and said he doesn't have mites. They also blacklighted him and didn't see any infections. She said that she thinks it could be some other irritant like the shampoo that we use to bathe him. She also said to diversify his diet a little more, so we are going to try all those things and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did they run more tests? I don't think you can see an infection just by looking at it.

What shampoo are you using? What are you feeding him?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Black light is took look for a fungal infection and is not 100% accurate. They can only check for a bacterial infection by doing a culture and sensitivity test.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis-Ichiro View Post
Did they run more tests? I don't think you can see an infection just by looking at it.

What shampoo are you using? What are you feeding him?
I am using aveeno baby shampoo. I am feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness Blend dry kitten food as well as mealworms occasionally. The vet said to feed him more insects more often to help with his coat.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you absolutely must use a cleanser when giving Harry a bath, I would recommend switching to Aveeno Oatmeal Baby Wash, not shampoo. I was told by several breeders that anything with the word "shampoo" in it is too harsh, and that the Oatmeal Wash is very gentle.

I've never heard of a vet using a black light to spot infection...I would insist on actual testing to rule everything out though.
nikki likes this.
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett53421 View Post
I have a male hedgehog named harry who is almost 4 months old. He has been losing a lot of quills which I assume is just quilling, but it looks like he is starting to develop a bald spot or something on his back. is this normal or should I be worried?
Don't feed Blue Buffalo. Not sure if this is the problem. A local breeder told me, another breeder, she lost several hedgehogs. I just wanted to inform you.
Scotty55 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Please stop going around posting on inactive threads. It's been 3 months since this thread was last active.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.