Fleece Questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Prue
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fleece Questions

I just switched Sonic to fleece liners last night, and I have some questions...

1. Is it ok/normal for him to push the fleece out of the way under his log to sleep on the bare cage? It's plastic.

2. He used to not poop under his log that I could tell (he had really fine wood bedding when he came home), but since the fleece he's pooping more in there (or his wheel) than anywhere else

3. Is a blanket or fleece strips better, or which is he more likely to like for burrowing or digging?

I included a picture of his setup, I'd appreciate any advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2455_1483846087632.jpg (148.4 KB, 24 views)
Cestrada1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi! Hope this helps!

1) I think it's fairly normal for hedgie to burrow under stuff...including when they liner dive! LOL. As long as your hedgehog is comfortable!

2) Hedgehogs tend to poop where they want, though some can be litter trained. My hedgehog poops and pees while she's on the wheel, so I keep a litter tray beneath it to catch the worst of it. If you're hedgie is consistently pooping there or under the log...it might just be preference.

3)I have the fleece liner and then a ton of strips in Hazel's igloo to burrow in. Both work great!

4) Do you have a heat set up for your cage? didn't see one pictured, and hedgie's need a constant temp of 75-80 degrees.
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

He's got a heating pad underneath his log, he's seemed really happy with it so far.
Cestrada1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Although many hedgehogs like heating pads, they generally aren't recommended. Not only can they cause burns, but they also don't heat the air. Unfortunately a heating pad can't keep the cage at a warm enough temperature to prevent hibernation. A CHE (ceramic heat emitting) system is the best way to keep your hedgie warm.
ArizonaHazelnut likes this.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would caution against using a heating pad, as they have been known to cause burns on hedgehogs.

The other issue with heating pads is that they do not heat the air temperature, just the surface. Hedgehogs need an air temperature of 75-80 degrees, so most folks use either a space heater, heat the entire house up, or use a CHE bulb set up.

I personally use a 10 inch ceramic heat dome (rated for CHE use), a 150watt CHE bulb (heat bulb that doesn't emit light), and thermostat to keep the temperature even. I also have a separate thermometer which tells me the actual cage temp (78 on the house thermostat doesn't always mean 78 in the cage, as I quickly found out!!!). I found everything for my setup on Amazon and at Petco.

I would highly recommend you switch your heat system to something that heats the air temperature. Also, keep in mind hedgies need 12-14 hours of light every day, whether natural or artificial. I have a desk lamp set near my Hazel's cage, and it's on a $5 timer I bought from Walmart. Works like a charm!

Good luck!
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another problem with heating pads is that they get too comfortable on them and stop going out to eat, drink and wheel.
ArizonaHazelnut likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.