Veterinarian Visits - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Veterinarian Visits

I am getting a hedgehog in May, but I am very concerned about hedgehog check-ups. Since hedgehogs are "exotic" animals, vets can be very expensive. Is a check-up really mandatory? There is an exotic vet that does see hedgehogs, but the cost is a bit much, and starting with a hedgehog costs a lot too. I don't think a vet is in my budget, nor my time. In conclusion, is a annual vet visit mandatory? Thank you.
Maia0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, it's mandatory. If you don't think you'll be able to afford the vet, you should not get a hedgehog. They are very prone to a variety of illnesses and health issues, including respiratory infections, mites, skin infections, and tumors. All of these require vet visits to be treated and the bills can add up quickly. It's not at all fair to the animal if you can't afford to get them vet care and they will suffer for it.

An annual vet visit is required because they only live 4-6 years. For small animals, health issues pop up fast & get worse fast. With hedgehogs, they're prey animals, so they try very hard to hide health issues until it's very bad. So a vet visit is often an emergency situation, where you need to go within a couple days, not in a week or two. Preventative vet visits can catch tumors and other issues in their early stages, where they're easier and cheaper to treat. Honestly, for small mammals like hedgehog, it's actually recommended by a lot of vets to do wellness exams every 6 months, and that's what I do with both of my girls (especially as one has already had major health issues).

There are other options to check into if you're in the US, and potentially for other countries (you'd have to research as I don't know) - Care Credit is a credit card specifically for health costs that some vet clinics accept, they have no interest rate on amounts over $200 for 6+ months. And there's also vet insurance available through Nationwide for exotic animals. You have to pay upfront, but covered conditions can be submitted to get money back.
ArizonaHazelnut and Maia0505 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet. Simple.

And if you think an animal doesn't deserve the care they need (annual check ups) then you don't deserve to have a pet.
ArizonaHazelnut likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you very much. I can afford a vet, but I heard of some hedgie owners not taking their hedgehog to the vet. didn't know if it was safe or not, now I know for sure. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia0505 View Post
Thank you very much. I can afford a vet, but I heard of some hedgie owners not taking their hedgehog to the vet. didn't know if it was safe or not, now I know for sure. Thank you!
You said exotic vets are too expensive, the initial cost is too much and a vet is not in your budget. Those were your concerns at the beginning of your post so I don't think you are ready for a pet. You can't afford the pet, the thing scout what others do is yours and after the fact excuse. Please don't get a pet until you can actually afford it and care for its wellbeing.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you very much for your reliable advice. My roomate has had a healthy hedgehog, and we are getting a new one. We have worked things out and it is not just me paying for it. I am thankful for your very resourceful knowledge, and I will re-consider the costs of getting it.

Last edited by Maia0505; 03-05-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Adding to what's been said. An emergency is the absolute worst time for an introduction. In all animals, including people, you have what's normal results in lab work and vitals. Those are based off averages. But when your not in the average range normally, something can appear totally normal or extremely off.
Those routine vet visits help officially determine what "normal" is for your hedgehog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nikki likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.