New from Alaska! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tongue_Flicker
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Russet
  • 1 Post By shmurciakova

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New from Alaska!

I am looking to returning to the world of apartments. I really like having pets to love and take care of. Apartments don't allow larger pets or cost a lot for deposits. Rats are illegal here, so I can't return to having fur babies. I have always wanted a hedgehog. I am not even sure if I will be able to find a hedgehog up here, as I just decided just now into looking and that this will be my new pet if I can find one! I have a nice cage for him or her, and the rest will come as I find my new baby. I returned home to AK last year after spending 5 years down in TX. I had rats and hermit crabs down there. Loved my darlings even if the fur babies had rather short lives, and the crabs went to Dallas when I moved. I looked at the breeder list, but neither of the AK breeders sites work. Dealing with rats down in TX has kinda turned me off the pet trade in retail pet stores. I am going to be out and about tomorrow, so I am gonna check out the one and only pet store out here and see what they have in the line of food, treats, and all the other needed necessities. It may take me a few months, but I am going to have everything needed before getting my new pet, if I confirm I can find one up here.
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

They're amazing pets(: just make sure you learn everything you possibly can before you get one! They're very demanding pets and deserve all the love and patients you can give(: good luck!
Krista0140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi welcome aboard!
hlsiefken likes this.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you, and I'm so glad you're doing your research and you're looking into breeders rather than pet stores. I hope you can find a breeder to get a baby from!
hlsiefken likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sent an email to both AK breeders listed on the breeders list. Neither site link leads to an active web site, but confirmation is a good thing. I am not thinking I am gonna have much luck finding a hedgie in need of rescue up here, but I am planing on taking my time and getting everything set up and stable well before I get my hedgie if I am able to get him or her. In the process of moving and finding a place to live due to things coming up. So planning on taking at least 4 months to research and collect everything for my new friend to have a good home, and making sure my new home is stable. Done it in the past, thought I was stable and upgraded the housing for my fur babies then stuff happened at work there went that stability. Gonna order a wheel once I get my housing established. Have a nice cage already! It is a rabbit cage, but I also have various heating pads that came up with me from my hermit crabs (will have to figured out if I can make them work, designed for glass tanks). But heaters and stuff are not hard to come by or that expensive up here so he or she will never have to worry about being cold. The hedgie will have plenty of fleece pockets and blankets to hide and snuggle under and plenty of time out of cage. He or she will probably never spend much time actually outdoors, as AK temps don't exactly agree with them even in the summer. I work at a fabric store and have collected a lot of random fabric in my time there including lots of fleece and flannel.
Lilysmommy and hlsiefken like this.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hello! I used to live in Alaska and had my first hedgehog, Snoball, when I lived up there. There used to be a breeder up in Fairbanks, but I don't know if she is still there or not. She might be one of the ones you contacted? Other than that, I don't really know of any breeders who live there anymore. I also knew of one in Anchorage who now lives in Maryland.

In any event, my old vet at the VCA pet clinic in Anchorage was named Kathy Dodie. She had someone who more or less abandoned their hedgie there at the clinic - so you might try calling a couple of vets who deal with exotics and let them know you would be willing to adopt any if that happens again.

Where are you located anyway? I do know there also used to be hedgehogs at this feed store called Echo Lake Feed, in Soldotna. You could also try animal shelters…occasionally they wind up w/ unwanted hedgies. There also used to be hedgehogs at this pet store there in Soldonta, but I would not recommend supporting that. (They once had a tripod hedgie there because he got his foot stuck in a terry cloth towel and it had to be amputated…

Another thought is to look in Craigslist - for rescues that is or rehouse - you don't want to support "backyard breeders". Good luck!

Cheers,
Susan H.
hlsiefken likes this.

Last edited by shmurciakova; 03-17-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: adding info.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, currently in Wasilla. Not finding a lot of animal rehomming of any kind on craigslist. My personal housing is currently a little up in the air, so I have a few months before I am gonna actively be looking for my new friend. It is gonna be stressful enough on him or her having a new home, without that new home changing a month or two later. I really want a hedgehog, but it might be upwards of a year before everything is stable, so I don't want to put my name out with vets and rescues just yet so I don't stress out the new hedgie with undue additional moving. Going to use this time to gather supplies and stuff so once I am stable I can call everywhere and get known as a person willing to rescue a unwanted hedgie or 2 (depending on space) Got a decent cage for one, if I have the space for them I could have a few different sets ups for more than one. If I have the space and there turns out to be that many needing new homes, and I can afford them and their care. I can go C&C cages, but unless there is some type of partially rescue funded foster system, I will probably never have the funds to properly care for more than 3 personal hedgies at a time, unless I land an awesome job. Working a few days a week at a fabric store is not going to fund me helping to many hedgies without it effecting me and them and we all having to find a new home at a later date

Last edited by Russet; 03-18-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.