First time hedgie mom! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time hedgie mom!

Hi all! I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Nicole. I am a first time hedgie mom from Wisconsin. My baby is named Leo. He's a pinto colored hoglet born 2/15/2017. I have used this website to answer many of my questions before I even signed up and wanted to join officially and introduce myself to all you lovely people that have already helped me so much.

I just brought Leo home today. He made the trip to me from Michigan. I brought him home earlier this evening and honestly, his settling in has been pretty amazing. From what I read, I was prepared for him to be very scared and very weary for the first few days, but he's been nothing but curious and brave! I brought him home and put him in his new cage. Immediately he went for the old shirt I provided him with and pulled it to the corner of his cage and started self anointing with my scent. I came back about a half hour later to check the temp in his cage and he was out drinking and eating some of his food. When he went back into his igloo, I had to pull his water bottle to make sure it was working (I am a very nervous hedgie mom BTW and worry about a lot of things!) and the noise seemed to startle him a bit but then he had his head poked out to look at me and check out what I was doing. So, from what I gather his settling in process is going wonderfully. I am not bothering him at all, I just go in the room I keep him in to check the temp and do whatever else I have to in there and leave. So, I can't wait to start bonding with him tomorrow.

My only issue is like I said I am a very nervous mom as I've never had animal that is so sensitive before. I just worry about the temp in his cage... A LOT and that I am doing everything right for him. Right now, I have a CHE, however, I am waiting for my thermostat to arrive on Friday, so I do not feel comfortable with it as a heat source for right now as it got really, really hot when I tested it earlier. So, I have his room heated with a force fan ceramic space heater (Lasko brand to be specific). It holds the temp at around 76 (varying between 74 and 76 degrees depending on the setting I have it on) according to my thermometer, but I also worry about the safety of this space heater being on all the time, so I have been checking on it for safety reasons. I will set up my CHE when the thermostat arrives, however, I just worry about the temp of the cage as well as the safety of the space heater in that room. I just want to do the best I can and make sure everything is ok especially since it is his first night with me. Is it normal to be this nervous? Any tips on what I can do differently? Or am I just being overprotective? Thanks for reading my novel guys! Any advice is appreciated to get me through these first few days!
Leoandme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello, i'm also going to be a owner soon! Well, I live in southern Az. A breeder told me
the temperature range should be 72 to 74 degrees minimum and 76 degree on the high side. She told me 78 or higher is much to high. Also, she told me Blue Buffalo has a toxic binding agent that is toxic to hedgehogs, but not to cats.
Scotty55 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

72 is rather on the low side. 74-78 is a good range to stay within. Do you have a temperature reading of the cage itself?
nikki likes this.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys! So, since the first night things have calmed down and I'm not so anxious anymore. I have a digital thermometer in the cage that is pretty accurate. I was able to rest pretty easily last night knowing my space heater was holding the temp consistently between 74 and 75 degrees inside the cage, which his breeder says is perfect for what he is used to. He seems fine and is eating and drinking okay. I had him out for awhile last night for bonding time and he was okay (aside from constantly pooping on me lol) He has some looser poop but that's probably just due to the drastic changes and the fact that it was the first time I handled him.

I just got my thermostat for my CHE so I hooked it up and am waiting to see how well it works right now. If not, I can always put the space heater on the thermostat and set it up that way as I know that works for him. He's doing great otherwise though! Thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good to hear that everything is well! Congrats on becoming a new mom (:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you! He is such a great little guy! I can't wait until he knows me a bit better and he won't be so scared. He's pretty brave when it comes to exploring, but as far as I go, not so much but that's normal I also cant wait until I can clean him without a lot of stress on him. He self-anoints a lot and with his poop sometimes. He has poop on his face, just a tiny bit lol. He's definitely a very messy boy I am finding out. But that's alright. I have plenty of time to clean up and take care of him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.