New hedgies (male and female) were together... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgies (male and female) were together...

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, so glad to find this site. My husband and I recently got two hedgehogs, Aquilles (male) and Huffena (female). The only info we were given is that they had been together for 3 days. Eeek. We separated them immediately upon bringing them home but realize that we still may end up with babies and need to be prepared. We got them on April 11th, so today would be 31 days since they were first together, assuming the people we got them from were being truthful. We'll be holding our breath for the next couple of weeks!

In the meantime, my questions...

#1. We noticed they were both itchy and after a vet visit, both hedgehogs are being treated with Revolution for mites. They are due for their second dose in a week...I'm planning to ask the vet about this but just in case any of you have experience with it, will Huffena be able to receive her second dose if she has babies? I would assume not, since we are supposed to leave her alone. She is no longer itchy but I'm sure the multiple doses are for a good reason and I am just not sure how that will work.

#2. Because of the mites, we have both hedgehogs on paper towels so I need to switch her bedding. I've read that Aspen is best for mothers but we already have a bag of Carefresh- is that ok? Or is there a reason Aspen is better? Also, how long do I have to freeze bedding to ensure we don't end up with another mite outbreak? (We were previously using fleece so I'm pretty sure they came with the mites but I've read it can come from bedding and just want to be on the safe side.)

#3. How quiet of a place will she need? Right now she is in a corner of our living room, away from walking traffic but sort of close to the tv. Would it be better to move her to a totally private, quiet place or is being away from the main activity of the house a safe enough location? She seems happy with where her cage is and I'd hate to move it unnecessarily and stress her out.

#4. Is a giant igloo a good nesting box? She has been sleeping outside of it for the past couple of days so I'm unsure what that's all about...do I need to give her something else?

#5. At what point do you think we can consider ourselves in the clear if she does not have babies? I've read that it can take longer sometimes but is that likely?

Thank you for your help!
Puffin83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgies (male and female) were together...

Hi there is alot of people who have been in this situations so dont fret to much

your not in the clear until it has been 50 days from the last time she was with a male.

aspen isrecomended more because carefresh can be dusty,

i would ask your vet about the revolution just to be sure , i think ive read something similiar in another thread in the breeding section, ill see if i can find it.

igloos are okay some people dont like them because they can get cramped, so if you can id maybe give her 2 options for a nest space

you should also give her some material to nest with. some kleenex or paper towel strips would work, some people use fleece cut into 1.5 inch rectangles.

you can start adding some royal canin baby cat or other kitten food to her mix if she is pregnant she will need the extra fat.

good luck quills crossed for your girl
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I always count 55 days from that last possible day bred before I say for sure they aren't pregnant. Because you got them from someone else and can't be 100% sure when they were last together I would count from the day you brought them home just to be on the safe side.

I have used aspen in the past for expecting mothers so there isn't any problem using that. I wouldn't put any fleece in the cage with her because you can't clean the nest till the babies are weaned and fleece will get very smelly by then. You can put paper towels or tissue in but carefresh itself makes good nesting material.

If she's used to the sound of the tv and it doesn't bother her you should be fine leaving her there. Just stay away from her cage as much as possible if she does deliver.

I used igloos for nesting boxes and didn't have any problem with them with litters up to 7 babies.

I don't "think" you can use revolution if she's pregnant but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Good luck!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your input! If anyone has anything to add, please feel free. The more info, the better.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

how old is she?

i forgot to ask but you should maybe wiegh her every other day at least and see how much wieght shes putting on. mght be an indicator for you
Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll start weighing her more often. Thank you for the suggestion. They didn't tell us how old she is, only that she was "full grown." She is a bigger girl though, 510 grams about a week ago and I will weigh her again tonight.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, she's only 499 grams now so she's actually LOST weight. Does this mean it's more likely that she's not pregnant? She is definitely showing some nesting behaviors but I've read that even males can do that, and I'm not noticing any other symptoms. Also, I only have one other weight to compare this to so I'm unsure how much can be considered a regular fluctuation...at what point should I be concerned about weight gain/loss?

I also read on here that I should remove her wheel so I did that last night but do I really need to at this point? Can I just take it IF she actually has babies? It just almost seems cruel to take it now. Poor thing is in there with nothing to do all night, you know?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

if she has them at night and your not there there is a possiblity shell try to run with a baby and hurt them, or be to busy wheeling to feed them , essentially since shes been with a male you need to take the precations and assume she is pregnant,

nancy has told a story on here ive read where she had a female she got into some of the final days who lost wieght at the begining gained it back and on the morning she decided she wasnt pregnant , by that night she ahd 5 babies,

you cant always tell so its best to treat her as if she is
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gotcha, I will leave the wheel out and wow, I guess it's true you really never know unless babies make an appearance!

Thank you again for your help. I'll update if anything new comes up.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

No babies yet! She weighed 505 grams last night so it looks like she's hovering right around 500, not really gaining. Still keeping our fingers crossed but so far, so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.