Hedgehog Central banner

when can I clean up the cage?

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  armando 
#1 ·
My little headgy gave birth 3 days ago.
I dont know how many are there because I dont want to disturb her at all...
she is under my stairs in a quiet dark corner.
I can hear the baby sounds and I only get glose once a day to put more food and water, without letting her know that Im in there.
The problem is....
the cage is REALLY REALLY stinky, and I´ve read that it cant be cleaned until babies are weaned.
but what if I just pick up the next box and place it into another cleaned enclosure? (As soon as they are 2 weeks old)
Will that be stressfull for the mother? OR should I really wait until babies are weaned?
im really worried, it does stinks a lot. (theres no dead baby, everything seems fine inside the nest box).
Thanks for all your help =)

#2 ·
I'm sure a breeder will answer soon. As far as I know, there is no cleaning the entire cage until the babies are weaned. Once the babies are 2 weeks old, I've seen Nancy and others say that you can change out a handful of loose bedding a day if they're on shavings or something like that. But I would make sure you don't change anything at all until an experienced breeder gives you advice.

#3 ·
Don't touch the nest box. What you can do is when you are replacing food and water, pick out a handful of dirty bedding and replace with a handful of clean. Most moms will potty in the same place so if you daily replace a handful of dirty with clean, it will keep the cage reasonably clean. Don't do anymore than a handful at a time because too much will stress mom out.

Mom does know somebody is near her cage no matter how quiet you are. Sometimes it's best to talk to mom as you enter the room and tell her what you are going to be doing. That way she knows it is you. :)

#4 ·
Thanks a lot for your quick answer! =)
what about moving the enclosure to another part?
The thing is that I have been REALLY careful about all this thing.
I dont even know how many babies are there, I know they are there because I can hear them sometimes. They are in a little room under my stairs, and I just put my hand in to give my mother hedgy water and food.
its been 5 days since they were born.... is it safe to move carefully the enclosure? or should I just leave it in there?
when is it time that she wont hurt the babies?
thanks a lot for all your help everyone!

#5 ·
I wouldn't risk moving them until they are at least 2 weeks old. There are no guarantees at any time but usually 2 weeks mom has calmed down somewhat. How does she behave when you feed and water them? Is the location you are wanting to move them to a calm and quiet location? Do you really need to move them? It's going to be a risk but the older the better.

#6 ·
I don't know how she is feeling!
I haven't seen her since she gave birth!! (6 days ago)
I have her in a little room under my stairs, which has a small entrance, blocked by a cardboard that I placed in there. (I only bend over once a day, and move a little bit of the cardboard so I can get her fresh water and food daily.)
The thing is that I would really like to know whats happening in there, but I can't because she turner the nest box entrance when she was getting it ready!
So, I don't really know whats going on inside there!!! (I know she is fine because I hear her eating and drinking, and I can hear the babies too!) I just want to turn her box around so the nest box is facing front. would that be stressful for her?

#7 ·
Soooooo....
I had to clean it.
The stink was causing me a lot of trouble in my home.
All the house was stinking so badly, and It felt really unhealthy.
I got another big cage, all cleaned up placed everything inside just like in the other one. I slowly picked up the nest with her inside it, and placed it very carefully in the other cage.
I had to clean, wash and disinfect the other one.
I did this yesterday (day 12). And mom seems ok... She came out to eat and drink all night long... and she was also nursing in the morning and then came out to wonder around a little bit.
I hope everything stays just as fine as it is.
There seems to be 3 beautiful babies inside. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.