4 week old babies mating! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 week old babies mating!

Okay so i took in a 1 year old female hedgehog and the woman didnt have any others but im guessing she was getting rid of a boy too and he went 1st because surprise surprise she had babies. Well no big deal i suspected once she was getting bigger so i did my research. Fast forward to today they are 5 weeks old and need to be separated in a week however i just caught a boy having sex with a girl, swollen vagina and slightly wet. So heres my question. Do i separate them now and pray the boys are weaned? And also do i keep all the girls for another month and a half to make sure they don't give birth? Pretty sure the babies or the mom would die because a 2 1/2 month old hedgehog probably wont know how to be a mom and labor might kill her. I just have no clue right now.
TayTay2255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only advice I have is to read through all the topics that you can on breeding and babies advice. Unfortunately I have literally zero knowledge in the breeding department. I wouldn't want to give you incorrect information that could harm the babies.

I'm going to comment to bump up your post so that someone with more experience in this area can give you a hand. Sounds like you're in a tough spot.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pm Nikki she has breeding experience.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

If they are 5 weeks old I would separate the males into their own cage. Babies can be weaned at 5 weeks just make sure they eat well once separated.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I separated them a few days ago. This morning i went to check on all of them and 1 is missing. We tore the house apart looking. I have food and water in every room. Any other tips on locating the baby?
TayTay2255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Make sure the house thermostat is up so it's warm enough for the baby. Put a paper bag in front of every dark corner or under furniture. In the paper bag, put kibble or treats. If your hedgie goes for the treats, the bag will crinkle to let you know. Just keep looking!!! Good luck.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

As Poppy mentioned before try leaving kibbles out everywhere even in the most unimaginable places, and keep your house warm enough.

Not to come off as rude or anything, but why don't you have a lid to prevent hedgehog from escaping the cage?

Good luck finding your baby.
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.