Michigan (SE) Breeders - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Michigan (SE) Breeders

Seeking a breeder in the southeastern Michigan area. I have been looking into getting a hedgehog for about 8 months now. I have finally gotten down to getting the cage, bedding, a couple toys, and sleeping huts. I have lined up care from a dozen friends and family that would be able to watch my new friend for long weekends when I travel. Now, I need help finding a breeder and maybe identifying a boy or a girl ...

About me: I have always had animals around, be it cats, dogs, chickens, rabbits, pigs, or hamsters; I even iguanas for a couple of years. I love animals. They keep me calm and grounded, while they provide me with friendship that can not be duplicated.

I am writing this looking for help with the basics. I don't care about the sex or color, but if there would be any insight that could be gleened from knowledgeable owners/breeders I would love to hear your thoughts. Thoughts on boy vs girl for temperament (male rabbits, while they spray, are far more calm and accepting than female), care (female dogs tend to kill the grass), maybe ease of transitions such as living arrangements. I would love to be able to take my future hedgehog with me when I travel, but I have no clue if that would be problematic. I only travel a total of a couple weeks a year, but still my second dog used to stand on my luggage before I would leave, and pee next to it when I returned.

Any thoughts that anyone has could be very helpful. Any information on breeders would be exactly what I need.
LLGC1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a great list of breeders available through this website, and from a quick glance I picked out a couple that are in the area you specified. Obviously I have no idea if they're ten minutes or three hours away from you, but here they are anyways.

This one's about as close to south east Michigan as I could find. Obviously I have zero personal experience with them, but it looks like quite a nice operation and they have a USDA licence, which is always a good thing.

Eternal Hedgehogs
Ashley Ganey
Eternal Hedgehogs Stering Heights, MI
586-489-3091

Website link:
https://www.eternalhedgehogs.com/

There's another breeder in Hartland, but they don't have an updated website. Here is their info, once again I have no idea what they're like. They also have a USDA licence.

Motorcity Hedgehogs
Amy Gilroy
Hartland, Michigan
810-355-5381

Those are the only two I could find that are in southeast Michigan, but if you're willing to drive I have heard fantastic things about Blizzard Baby Hedgehogs. It would probably be a seriously long drive, but my breeder has worked with them and claims they have some of the best stock around. My hedgehog's pedigree has several BBH hedgehogs in it and she has been remarkably healthy so far. Their herd on their website is quite impressive as well.

As for general advice, I would have to say that there is no real difference between the temperaments of male vs female hedgehogs. It's much more to do with how well they are bred and socialized as a baby. Personally, although my male and female hedgehogs have been totally different from one another, I can't say that was attributed to their gender so much as where they came from. As for care, both male and female hedgehogs have a lot of health problems so it's a bit of a toss up. I do know that ovarian cancer is very common in female hedgehogs, but it often treatable by spaying them. I have heard of some people travelling with their hedgehogs, but due to heating and lighting it seems like much more work than it's worth. They aren't particularly adaptable and some are known to get carsick.

I hope something in here helps in your search. Good luck!

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!

Last edited by Prue; 02-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Prue,

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your time, support, and information. This seems to be a lot of the type of information I am looking for. I will, therefore, not specify a sex. I think I need to look even harder for breeders with extensive experience.

I will contact Blizzard Baby and see if they will have any available in the next 3-6 months or if they can recommend a breeder closer to me.

Seriously, thank you for the response.
LLGC1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello! I live in West Michigan, and there are a few breeders here that are well known for USDA licensing, professional and safe hedge breeding, affordable prices, and have very positive reviews.

One is "Pins and Needles Hedgehog", located in Grand Rapids.
Another is "Quality Quills" in Allendale

When I was looking for my Hedgie, those were the most professional (yet affordable) Hedgie breeders I came across. I know it's a drive, but the quality from what I have seen is well worth it.

Good luck
Linseymh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I looked at the breeder list in Michigan, and this is what I found:
https://www.eternalhedgehogs.com/

It seems like a good breeder; they even have their own set of forums!
As every other breeder, you will have to schedule an appointment.

Hope this helps!
Maia0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.