Just Another Hedgehog (and other goodies) Blog! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Just Another Hedgehog (and other goodies) Blog!

Since I have things scattered all over the place, as is typical with me, I thought I'd just start fresh with a properly titled thread. (If you mods want to lock the others feel free!) So here goes.

First off, a thread introducing my pets that I had when I joined the forum: Pictures of My Pets.

After that, I added some new members, and that happens over here: New Family Members.

Here's a running total of everything I have right this second:
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog, male, Finnick, 1.5 years old
1 Australian Cattle Dog, male, Oz, Estimated 5 yo.
1 Senegal parrot, female, Pepper, 3 yo.
1 Blue Tongued Skink, female, Rocket, Estimated 5 yo.
1 Ball python, unconfirmed male, Illidan, 7 and a half yo.
1 Mexican black kingsnake, male, Sherlock, 3 yo.
1 Green tree python, male, Akihiko, Estimated 2-3 yo.
1 Veil tail betta, male, Keitan, 5 months old.
2 Tiger salamanders, one wild, one bought, unknown sex, Squee and Shaw, Estimated ages 2yo and 1 yo.
3 Crested Geckos, two female, one male, Nanamo, Mordin, and Grunt, all 1 yo.
3 Dwarf blue day geckos, two male, one female, Skaro, Lil Dude, and Kaylee, estimated ages for Skaro and Kaylee 4 yo. Lil Dude is 6 months old.
7 Dendrobates auratus "El Cope" poison dart frogs, two female, three male, two juveniles. All named after Adventure Time characters, Adults estimated 2 yo. Juveniles are 3 months old.
1 Saltwater fish tank. Contents: corals, pistol shrimp, hermit crabs, snails. All brand new.

Pets with estimated ages were either adopted later in their lives, rescued, or wild caught/farmed and imported. I've had a vet as well as an importer help me get as close as possible to everyone's actual ages.

I'll be embedding any future pictures of my family here, so they're all together in one spot. Not including Finnick of course, who can have his own threads, but will likely be duplicated here just for archival's sake. I also post videos from time to time and mean to do a lot more of that. You can see my YouTube account here: 5ubv3rsion. And I'd like to point out a specific video that I just added of Finnick chasing crickets around the bathtub. I took this a few weeks ago and forgot I had it, so here it is now: Pet Hedgehog vs Crickets.

And also, here's the fan favorite Finn Dust Bathing in His Mealworms.

Thanks for reading, and I'll update again soon! Maybe with a video of the ball python having a swim, and some more photos...
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can't wait to check out your youtube channel! We also have a kingsnake, a leopard gecko, a couple dogs, and a tank full of fish. It used to be saltwater but when we had kids we kind of decided we could take care of kids, or a saltwater tank, but not both. Awesome that you are able to manage all your pets!
Charlotte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's awesome! Saltwater tanks are so pretty, but so much work. I have a leopard gecko as well, technically, but he's about a bazillion years old so my parents kept him when I moved out. I didn't want to stress the old guy. He's.... 19 or 20 now, I believe. I have his hatch certificate filed away here somewhere.

Is your kingsnake a California king or something different? I love Cali kings but I wanted something that stays fairly small for once .

Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Griffin is a variable king, still a baby and so adorable. Castiel is our gecko. Watching him stalk crickets is always fun.

Loved your youtube video of Finnick chasing crickets in the tub, we will definitely have to give that a try!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cas.JPG (123.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg griffin.JPG (91.0 KB, 49 views)
FinnickHog likes this.
Charlotte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awww they're so cute! Griffin is adorable! He's so teeny and just look at his little face! I want a variable kingsnake in the grey, orange, and black phase, or their visual counterpart, a grey banded king. They've been on my want list for years! Great little snakes. Castiel is so pretty! Is he a snow? How old is he? Mine is from back before leopard gecko morphs were even really a thing, so he's just normal. I think there's a picture of him in the first pet thread I linked...
Old 01-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm seriously cracking up at the video of Finn rolling around on his mealworms. Also that video has me wondering if the people telling me to be careful with my slow-moving lazy snake have seen a hedgehog going after mealworms...NEVER get between a hedgie and their worms!
FinnickHog likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes Cas is a snow and about 2.5 years old. Griffin is about 6 months and that pic from my iPhone 4 does not do him justice, he is stunning in person, especially after a shed. I'll try to get some better pics of him. His little face is so dang cute, I can never understand when people say they are afraid of snakes or don't like them.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

So instead of just bathing Illidan, I grabbed Sherlock and Rocket too. Here that is: Bath Time for Reptiles!

I have another video filmed, I just have to add some captions and cut it together all pretty-like.

Kelsey, I'm pretty sure a charging, mealworm-hungry hedgehog could mess you up pretty bad if you got in the way . Kind of like those angry rhino videos.

Aww, Cas is just a youngster then! You're in for a long haul . The world record for captive leopard geckos is 32 years. Mine is attempting to break it, I think.

Variable kings are stunning after a shed. (We snake-folk up here call them Thayer's kingsnakes, after their scientific name.) And all the time, really. Just wait 'til he gets older. Some kings get duller with age but those guys really don't. And all three phases are so pretty! Also, come on, who doesn't like snakes that pop out in multiple colors independent of the parents! It's like Christmas!

I can't understand why people don't like snakes either. Some things I can see being "creepy" or "gross" to someone, but I just don't get it with snakes .

Last edited by FinnickHog; 01-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have to say I love that you named one illidan. he's my favorite <3
FinnickHog likes this.
KristinNicole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yay someone gets the reference! All my snakes are named after characters with a fatal flaw (or at least an awkward quirk) in their personalities. His being both his lust for power, and his... uhh... "obsession" with Tyrande.

I'm trying to pretend not to be excited for the next WoW expansion, but I totally am.

Tags
cute, lizard, pets, snake, video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.