Hedgehog Central banner

Masturbation??

115K views 84 replies 45 participants last post by  *hogwild* 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My male hedgehog Sonic (original right?) has started doing a weird behavior....

He like tucks under and if I look under him I can see his wiener poking out onto his chin...

I hope I don't get banned or something because of posting this question cuz it really is a legitimate question.

I hope Sonic isn't sick or something....

#52 ·
Um, LG, I'm sorry, but for me not being a part of this forum for what, not even 3 months, you are already judging my knowledge what my 'maturity level' is like?
My knowledge towards exotics is quite frankley limited, so it's a given that my knowledge towards hedgehogs is quite oblivious.
I am extremely knowledgeable when it comes to dogs, cats, birds, and other common household pets. Your firsthand judgment on my knowledge(without knowing me) is false.
I also finished high-school early and I am enrolled in OSU. Yes, I am a college student, and will be 17 next June(I know, I'm super young).
I assume you are much older, which means that my level of knowledge is going to
be much lower than yours(maybe by some subjects) as everyone's is different.
Also, Just because I didn't realize that animals can 'masturbate', doesn't make me, well, dumb. I asked my instructor about that same subject and we had a class discussion on it. There are some things in the animal world that I don't focus on, like an animal masturbating.

And as someone else stated, no, I'm not in vet-school at the moment, as all of my classes basically consist of physics, statistics, as well as basic college science classes. I'm enrolled in OSU's pre-veterinary program, which basically prepares me for my beginning enrollment of OSU's Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

Oh, I am also currently taking evening classes at Meridian Technology's veterinary technician program which gives me extra college credit, so I can ultimately get into some of OSU's honor classes.

Sorry to give you all my education history, but it seems that you all are interested in it, even though it ultimatly isn't any of your business (I tried to put that as bluntly as possible, without making it sound, erm, biatchy).
I'm sorry if you feel I have misjudged you. I said I didn't expect you were already in vet school, and that was true. I never said you weren't knowledgeable in other areas or unsuccessful in your education in any way. :)

#53 ·
LizardGirl said:
Um, LG, I'm sorry, but for me not being a part of this forum for what, not even 3 months, you are already judging my knowledge what my 'maturity level' is like?
My knowledge towards exotics is quite frankley limited, so it's a given that my knowledge towards hedgehogs is quite oblivious.
I am extremely knowledgeable when it comes to dogs, cats, birds, and other common household pets. Your firsthand judgment on my knowledge(without knowing me) is false.
I also finished high-school early and I am enrolled in OSU. Yes, I am a college student, and will be 17 next June(I know, I'm super young).
I assume you are much older, which means that my level of knowledge is going to
be much lower than yours(maybe by some subjects) as everyone's is different.
Also, Just because I didn't realize that animals can 'masturbate', doesn't make me, well, dumb. I asked my instructor about that same subject and we had a class discussion on it. There are some things in the animal world that I don't focus on, like an animal masturbating.

And as someone else stated, no, I'm not in vet-school at the moment, as all of my classes basically consist of physics, statistics, as well as basic college science classes. I'm enrolled in OSU's pre-veterinary program, which basically prepares me for my beginning enrollment of OSU's Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

Oh, I am also currently taking evening classes at Meridian Technology's veterinary technician program which gives me extra college credit, so I can ultimately get into some of OSU's honor classes.

Sorry to give you all my education history, but it seems that you all are interested in it, even though it ultimatly isn't any of your business (I tried to put that as bluntly as possible, without making it sound, erm, biatchy).
I'm sorry if you feel I have misjudged you. I said I didn't expect you were already in vet school, and that was true. I never said you weren't knowledgeable in other areas or unsuccessful in your education in any way. :)
Yeah, I'm just very defensive when it comes to that subject in my life. Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out, LG.
Most people hear how old I am when I'm in class and start talking to me like I'm a baby (they're kidding, of course) and it just drives me nuts!
There seems to be quite a few 16 years olds on here actually. It's very surprising. All the other forums I get on always bash the young ones and make them leave (non intentionally, but their actions make them leave), and it's really upsetting.
I think it's great that you all don't single them out! :D

#58 ·
yeah well i am twelve so ha!,lol
anyway i have my own hedgehog which i was savin up for and i got her 2 of sept. ya , ya i am young so what i am very responsible and i did 1 year of research be4 actually getting my first hedgie so dont freak out. i am used to her quills. i dont get shocked when she quills me and then drop her , no way1 i have bled from her quills and i was fine.
any way lily IS a girl she has had hoglets be4 but yet some times i find her lickin down there :lol: can females masturbate aswell??? :| :?: :?: :?:

#61 ·
Hey, my little Boris is having some troubles, when he masturbates he gets the shaving stuck in his sheath (?). I'm not entirely sure of the proper name. But I've read that it can cause irritation and sometimes infection, so now I'm pretty worried. I gave him a warm bath the first time it happened since I wasn't sure what to do. I'm considering changing his bedding into something I little less prone to getting stuck to his belly and such, but I'm not entirely sure what the best one to use is. Also is there anything else I can do for my little dude? I can't imagine it being comfortable for him and he really doesn't enjoy bathes all that much. Help would be much appreciated!

thanks

#62 ·
Henry used to let it all hang out in the warm tub during a bath, his son Bolt is secretive, he gets "sticky fur" on his chest from dried....um....you know. His brother Oscar does the deed when in a ball.

Boys WILL be boys ROFL :oops: :lol: :roll:

#63 ·
Zania said:
Hey, my little Boris is having some troubles, when he masturbates he gets the shaving stuck in his sheath (?). I'm not entirely sure of the proper name. But I've read that it can cause irritation and sometimes infection, so now I'm pretty worried. I gave him a warm bath the first time it happened since I wasn't sure what to do. I'm considering changing his bedding into something I little less prone to getting stuck to his belly and such, but I'm not entirely sure what the best one to use is. Also is there anything else I can do for my little dude? I can't imagine it being comfortable for him and he really doesn't enjoy bathes all that much. Help would be much appreciated!

thanks
No you're right it's probably not comfortable and not good for him. Most people on the forum use fleece liners instead of loose bedding material especially for males specifically because of this issue and the issue of things being stuck in the urethra.

There are lots of threads about where to get liners and how to make them. (fleece from any fabric store cut to size, light colours are best to see changes in pee and poop).

I don't know what else you can do besides keeping an eye on the area and making sure it doesn't happen anymore.

#64 ·
I have a boy hedgehog and use fleece liners like mentioned above. It's great because when he decides to stretch or drag himself on the ground when stretching nothing gets caught no where. One of the major reasons for me choosing this to begin with is that I read an old newletter from an archive when researching and seen a pic and read a story about a rescue that had gotten stuff stuck and ended badly. So when I seen ppl post about about things that had a potential to cause this I made sure not to have it in there. What I settled on and was able to sleep at night with it being in the cage is: Fleece liners and every other cloth service is fleece, pvc/plastic for the tube and cake cover wheel and folded papertowel for the bathroom area. Now I don't worry as much when I'm sleeping because I know there is nothing to get stuck anywhere and nothing that will snag on his foot.

#65 ·
*eyes Beckett*

Well now I'm a bit worried about my boy's erm... masculinity? Do I have the only male hedgie that uhm... doesn't masturbate lol? In two and a half years of having him in my room with me, I have never once seen this, or any evidence of it (such as the described dried semen or wet belly).

Latent hedgie?

#67 ·
-- I am posting on this thread because I am assuming that my little boy is now starting to do this and not being so discrete about it... :roll:

Again, this is pure assumption and I would like to see if I can get confirmation as to what I *think* I am seeing here..

My little boy.. hrm... how to phrase this... "wags his butt" .. if that makes sense. When I get him out for play time and place him out in the open on our living room floor..He starts exploring and then stops.. and moves just the lower-half of his body (from the mid-tummy down to the tail) to the side a few times and then carries on exploring..

Is ... this... applicable to this thread? :)

*edit on grammar

#69 ·
Hi,

I'm new, and I hate for my first question to be about this, but...

I got Gunther a couple of weeks ago. We're getting along ok, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Yesterday night and all through today he's been absolutely horrid though. He won't uncurl for ANYTHING- not even zucchini, which is like mealies for him- and anyway, I finally got him to uncurl, and noticed a dark spot on his 'wee-wee' , and thought he had stuff stuck! He let me (eventually) get close enough, and I was able to slowly pull a little piece out. He flinched, so I know it was painful, but I think there's some left. I just gave him a bath 2 days ago... should I try another bath? Or will that dry out his skin/not do anything to help this particular situation?

Anyway, yay first posts! Sorry if I said anything... um, inappropriate.

#70 ·
I would suggest a vet visit IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Someone here had a boy who eventually bit it OFF, because something must have annoyed him.
So I say vet, and get that looked at and taken care of.

What sort of litter are you using? That's one main culprit, or perhaps something the previous owner used/did?

#71 ·
I too suggest a vet visit to make certain there is nothing left in there and that there is no infection.

If you don't already, I suggest putting him on liners so there is no risk of it happening again.

Poor little guy.

#72 ·
I haven't seen my Brillo "pleasure himself" but I did want to add...
When Brillo was quilling I took him out of his cage and he wasn't going into a ball. I thought that was weird and when I flipped him on his back I noticed he had a quill stuck in his you know what! I had my husband take it out right away but eeeesh that was scary! :eek: And I'm sure very painful for our little man!
So if anyone has quilling boys...you may want to check every once and awhile to make sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.