Hedgehog Central banner

Masturbation??

115K views 84 replies 45 participants last post by  *hogwild* 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My male hedgehog Sonic (original right?) has started doing a weird behavior....

He like tucks under and if I look under him I can see his wiener poking out onto his chin...

I hope I don't get banned or something because of posting this question cuz it really is a legitimate question.

I hope Sonic isn't sick or something....

#27 ·
Wait...are you all sure that they can really masturbate? I mean, humans do it as a means of pleasure, something fun to do. Creatures, other than humans, have to have sex because when they are going through a cycle(females) something in their brain tells them to do this. Almost as if they are doing it as a means of survival(I can't really give you the scientific reason, as I forgot it) to keep the population in exsistance. They don't really have a sense of how 'fun' sex is, it's something they were made to do.
So, with that said, masturbation is a form a self pleasure that humans do for fun, so-to-speak, so I'm confused on wether a male hedgehog is really 'masturbating' or just cleaning themselves. I know that I have walked in on my dog Miki licking himself, like how you all are describing these hedgehogs doing, but he was only giving himself a 'bath', and I believe that's what these male hedgehogs are doing.
Now, as for the male hedgehogs who are humping stuffed animals or what have you, I believe that, because I have a friend whos' chihuahua does that, but it's only around when his testosterone levels are higher, and females do this as well when they are going through a cycle. It's all because they want to relieve(or get rid of rather) that annoying 'must have sex' feeling.
Sorry to get all technical with everyone :roll:

#29 ·
spritecann said:
im sure most people will agree that animals have that drive and to them its a survival thing not fun thing to do but i think its kinda funny and corky thing they do
But, aren't they just cleaning themselves? That's where it gets kind of iffy. Either way, I saw the video and it is pretty funny, not gonna lie ;)

#31 ·
nikki said:
no they aren't just cleaning themselves, they ejaculate which wouldn't happen if it was just a grooming issue.
Hmm, for real? I mean, someone mentioned one having a wet belly when they picked it up, and that could have just been saliva.
I just think it's strange and I can't wrap my head around it.
This will have to be brought up to my vet class.

#33 ·
Hmmm, I still find it hard to believe(although, I'm not doubting what you are saying).

In my years of experience with animals, this is new. I have never heard(nor seen) as animal have this kind of behaviour. Must be what the whole gang is doing these days!

#37 ·
It is absolutely true and extremely common in all sorts of animals all over the world.

I know we have gotten complaints from this topic getting too descriptive, but I just have to say that any animal completely unsheathed, twitching, and licking/chewing is far different than a "hey I think I'll groom my belly". Hedgies don't lick to keep clean.

#40 ·
Nope Nikki you're good. :)

Some past threads have had reported posts from some people being a little picky about how "inappropriate" the subject was.

#43 ·
Nothing inappropriate that I could see.

The person doing the complaining is a former member who was banned some time ago due to inappropriate posts and behaviour. Obviously the nitpicking about other peoples posts is supposed to be some sort of statement. :roll:

#47 ·
cutietexan said:
haha nice call LG, how can you be in vet school under 18?
Just wanted to point out that you can be under 18 and have post-secondary education. My younger sister was 17 for the first semester of her first year of University (having a birthday in December). So it is entirely possible to be taking a vet tech program in college when you are 17 years of age, even if this is not the case here.

#48 ·
Just wanted to point out that you can be under 18 and have post-secondary education. My younger sister was 17 for the first semester of her first year of University (having a birthday in December). So it is entirely possible to be taking a vet tech program in college when you are 17 years of age, even if this is not the case here.
Oh yes, of course it's possible to be taking college classes under 18. I was taking AP classes my freshman year of high school.

It just didn't seem realistic by age, maturity level, and knowledge that this member was already in vet school.

#51 ·
LizardGirl said:
Oh yes, of course it's possible to be taking college classes under 18. I was taking AP classes my freshman year of high school.

It just didn't seem realistic by age, maturity level, and knowledge that this member was already in vet school.
Um, LG, I'm sorry, but for me not being a part of this forum for what, not even 3 months, you are already judging my knowledge what my 'maturity level' is like?
My knowledge towards exotics is quite frankley limited, so it's a given that my knowledge towards hedgehogs is quite oblivious.
I am extremely knowledgeable when it comes to dogs, cats, birds, and other common household pets. Your firsthand judgment on my knowledge(without knowing me) is false.
I also finished high-school early and I am enrolled in OSU. Yes, I am a college student, and will be 17 next June(I know, I'm super young).
I assume you are much older, which means that my level of knowledge is going to
be much lower than yours(maybe by some subjects) as everyone's is different.
Also, Just because I didn't realize that animals can 'masturbate', doesn't make me, well, dumb. I asked my instructor about that same subject and we had a class discussion on it. There are some things in the animal world that I don't focus on, like an animal masturbating.

And as someone else stated, no, I'm not in vet-school at the moment, as all of my classes basically consist of physics, statistics, as well as basic college science classes. I'm enrolled in OSU's pre-veterinary program, which basically prepares me for my beginning enrollment of OSU's Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

Oh, I am also currently taking evening classes at Meridian Technology's veterinary technician program which gives me extra college credit, so I can ultimately get into some of OSU's honor classes.

Sorry to give you all my education history, but it seems that you all are interested in it, even though it ultimatly isn't any of your business (I tried to put that as bluntly as possible, without making it sound, erm, biatchy). ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.