Male vs. Female - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Male vs. Female

"Gender (male versus female) -The male hedgehog tends to be a little more of a risk taker than a female. In the wild he is either looking for food or looking for a mate whereas a female is thinking of raising a family, protecting the nest / home and her territory." - Heritage Pets

Those with males and females, do you find this true? In a large cage 20 Sq.Ft. are males more likely to use it all because there more adventurous?
ourico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Male vs. Female

I haven't found that with any of mine. If anything I have a few females that are much more adventurous than any of my males.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

can't answer from a personal stand point (all mine have been boys), but from what i hear there are very few differences between a male and female and it's all anatomical not so much personality wise.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

As with the other replies, from what I've heard the differences between males and females seem to be quite minimal, hedgehogs are just little individuals.

My little boy certainly does not like to explore, to answer your more specific question. If Carlos had a 20 sq. ft. enclosure, I strongly doubt he would use all of it except to go straight from his food to his water to his wheel to his bed. I think if a hedgehog had such an enclosure and explored all of it, it wouldn't have anything to do with gender.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have one of each and notice no difference BECAUSE they are male and female. They are surely different because of their personality but not because they are different sex. Being more obsessed with their boy toy is about the only real difference in male and female..... and, really............isn't that the way it is in all of the human and animal kingdom?

Kathy
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.