Harness/Leash - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Harness/Leash

Hey! So i was thinking of getting layla a ferret or iguana harness (and leash). Im sure everyone has seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJTrX1hGJo
That lady in the video said she used a iguana harness....it looks pretty safe unlike vented harnesses (like http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo), it looks like it wont keep them from balling up or raising their quills.....what do you guys think? I think it'd be fine for Layla since she is a very brave hedgie , and hardly ever raises her quills, even at scary dogs/cats/random people/etc.

ponylover317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Harness/Leash

Why would you want to use a leash/harness? They're not necessary for outside exploration and I wouldn't suggest using a leash to restrain a hedgehog. That harness isn't as bad as it could be but the "design" of the quills means that any kind of harness, when fitted close enough to be worthwhile, will pin some quills down. Their skeletal structures don't work for a harness either. Hedgehogs are so small that you can simply pick them up to travel from one place to another or to keep them from going somewhere, so I don't see how it serves any purpose other than the owner's amusement. I wouldn't recommend using one - it has the potential for discomfort or harm without any good reason to use it.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I agree with moxiberry, a harness/leash isn't a good idea for a hedgie. I believe there' have been hedgies hurt with that type of harness (the first one you linked) because if they try to ball up they aren't able to normally and then they panic and keep trying. Hedgies don't need leashes, you're better off carrying them. A hedgie on a leash can easily be attacked by another animal or even a bird. If you're carrying them they're much safer
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
I agree with moxiberry, a harness/leash isn't a good idea for a hedgie. I believe there' have been hedgies hurt with that type of harness (the first one you linked) because if they try to ball up they aren't able to normally and then they panic and keep trying. Hedgies don't need leashes, you're better off carrying them. A hedgie on a leash can easily be attacked by another animal or even a bird. If you're carrying them they're much safer
Alright thanks!

ponylover317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.