Hedgehog Central banner

Is there anyone who sells bucket wheels in Canada?

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  rtc 
#1 ·
I'm getting my two boys in about 10 days and I don't have wheels for them yet. I wanted to go with a bucket wheel but I'm not going to pay the huge shipping fee's to get one from the US. I can't find anyone who has them in Canada who doesn't charge the same (or more) for shipping. I was going to make my own but can't find cake covers so that's out.

#2 ·
Since similar threads have turned up nothing, assuming you get hit with a negative, a few other options...

This seems to be an ongoing problem for those with Canuck hedgehogs. If you make any trips across the border, apparently Walmart have cake covers. I've had no luck finding covers for DIYs this side of the border; let us know if you find something!

You can find comfort wheels at PetCo, which is a Canada-wide chain. You can also try making a bucket wheel.

#4 ·
It's more expensive to buy from her than the US...

2 bucket wheels from Larry - $77.98 with shipping
2 bucket wheels from Valerie - $112.10 with shipping.

I really don't see how that's saving on international shipping. The shipping is $5 less than international and the wheels cost $15 more.

#10 ·
I wanted to build my own but I can't find anything that works for the actual wheel portion. I don't have tools to cut a bucket and neither does anyone I know. You can't buy cake covers in Canada apparently.

I'm in Hamilton, Nancy.

Comfort wheels aren't really an option because they are loud and hard to clean. So I'd like to avoid that if I could.

#12 ·
Any chance you could drive to Toronto to Hedgehog Ville? Or do you know anyone who travels between Toronto and Hamilton?

Ah, just found another one. Hedgie Whisperers is in Burlington and sells Larry's wheels. http://hedgiewhisperers.ca/hedgies/210.html

#13 ·
I wanted to build my own but I can't find anything that works for the actual wheel portion. I don't have tools to cut a bucket and neither does anyone I know. You can't buy cake covers in Canada apparently.
For the wheel portion (assuming you don't mean the bucket) we used a roller blade wheel. We found a perfect bucket in a dollar store, big enough, smooth, no cutting needed except for handles, which were thin enough to just use little scissor things. It took us a while to find a bucket though, because the first one was too small. Maybe keep an eye out for a good bucket and scope out ordering a roller blade wheel if you can't find one?

#14 ·
You can also use replacement shower-stall-door wheels -- they're smaller so a bit finicky to work with, but have a bit more water resistance so you can be sloppier in cleaning without the bearings wearing down as fast.

It looks like Hamilton has a hacker/maker space -- they have all the tools you'd need to chop a bucket down to size. You might need to bring cookies to bribe someone into teaching you how to us them, mind you... ;)

I totally think some bordertown Canadian should mass-import cake covers for resell to northern hedgehog-caretakers!

#16 ·
The only buckets I've found that are large-base are Great Western Containers's 6.5USG Pails with a 11 13/16" base. The buckets are $11.21/ea, but resale has a $15 minimum, so you need to buy it and one other thing (or 2 buckets so you have a backup-wheel!). In Calgary, you might try checking with a few of the resource-suppliers. Rigs need hugs buckets, so they might carry Great Western Containers (or be willing to special-order) if you don't have a warehouse near you.

I haven't found any cake-covers. I found a few brands that produce them that some kitchen wholesalers carry the brand but not the specific item; the quest continues!

#17 ·
The comfort wheel we are using is working well for now. It is quiet (I put a few drops of oil in it every couple of weeks). I am just curious about the bucket since it is smooth and looks really easy to wipe clean on a daily basis. Since I have bought 3cages in the last 3 months, I am over budget. Need to sell the ones I am not using, then I will buy a Carolina storm wheel.

#18 ·
I've purchased a cake carrier at WalMart in Montreal that worked well as a wheel:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pr...33673&fid=4BDA0A9F-802D-F658-038E87886D510D3E

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/round-cake-caddy/6000068739059

Hitch has been using it for years. The difficulty I had was finding the proper plastic tubing in Canada. I had to make a stop at Lowes in Plattsburgh, NY to find something suitable.

After adding up all the costs of the supplies including the cake carrier, tubing and adapters, roller blade wheel, bearing(s), nuts / washers / bolts, and time; I think you easily bust the actual cost of getting one from Larry or others.

Scott.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.