Regular vs. Super Mealworms - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Regular vs. Super Mealworms

Do most people here feed regular or super mealworms? I've heard that with super mealworms, you must cut off the head or freeze them for an hour, then thaw them, to kill them. Do you need to kill regular mealworms before offering them? If you freeze mealworms, should you thaw them all, or just the ones you are going to feed immediately? (I'm assuming otherwise, the dead ones will rot...)

Thanks!
JahJahWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Regular vs. Super Mealworms

I don't know anything about super mealworms except having heard about cutting off their head so they don't bit the hedgies throat on the way down.

For regular mealworms you can feed them live or you can buy canned ones. No need to kill the live regular mealworms, most hedgies will just gobble them right up.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I heard something about the super mealworms being able to eat their way out of the stomach if you don't kill them first. Any worry of that happening with regular mealworms?
JahJahWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahJahWarrior
I heard something about the super mealworms being able to eat their way out of the stomach if you don't kill them first. Any worry of that happening with regular mealworms?
Regular mealworms are safe..Always wash after handling them.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Regular mealworms are wimps. They have very little in the way of defense mechanisms, so they make a great treat for hedgehogs. They can't crawl too fast, so hedgehogs can catch them relatively easily if you just put them down in front of them. If you handfeed them, they snatch them up so fast (or anyway, Lily does) that the mealie hardly knows what's happening before it's dinner! They have no chance to bite back or hurt the hedgehog in any way before they're eaten. They also cannot climb straight walls, so you don't need to keep a cover on their container. It actually helps guard against mold to leave the container uncovered.
Actually, the beetles are pretty wimpy too, from the one I've had. It wasn't deformed or anything, but I tried taking it out, then putting it back down in the container, and all it did was try to burrow down into the oat bran. And my mom was afraid they'd escape into my room, lol.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

SUPER mealworms, are hormone enhanced, never feed them. they can be refrigerated to keep
Regular mealworms, small can be refrigerated to keep
SUPERWORMS- also known as Morio Worms, which are larger then mealworms, will die if refrigerated. They are meatier, and have less chitin.
GoodSmeagol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.