Only Chicken?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Only Chicken?!

My 3 year old hedgehog was in a pet hotel over the new year break for 4 days (he's stayed there before twice without any issues). At the pet hotel they keep the temperature stable and feed him his regular food.

I noticed when he came back he wasn't eating his dry food at all.
He's always been a picky eater - he only likes this one kind of dry cat food and he refused to eat dry hedgehog food, any insects, etc.

Since he wasn't eating at all I started to offer him various things. Like his dry food soaked in water, wet cat food, wet dog food, boiled egg and chicken to get him to eat.

But, he only eats the chicken. He ignores all the other food, even if he's hungry. I try to put it in his mouth a little to get him to eat but he ignores it. He spat out the dry food kibble as well.

I took him to the vet and they checked his teeth and said his teeth are fine. And he gave me some medicine for him, which I can sprinkle onto the chicken and he will eat.

I'm sure it isn't good for him to only eat chicken, but I don't know what else to do at the moment.

Has this ever happened to you before? What should I do?

I ordered some other kinds of dry food online so I'll try to give them to him, but he always ate a lot, so it's really strange that he's suddenly stopped eating his usual food.
beccadango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you tried a new bag of his normal food? Maybe the current bag is going stale or has something up with it.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I thought the same. Maybe the food he'd had with him at the pet hotel was stale. So, I opened up a new bag but he still ignored it.

I did leave some wet dog food mixed with chicken in his cage last night (along with his usual dry food which he isn't eating) and he ate the wet food by this morning. Then he ate his medicine with chicken in the morning.
So, he'll eat a little bit of wet cat or dog food (maybe around a teaspoon).

Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's nothing wrong with doing a diet of wet dog or cat food, so long as it meets the requirements for fat and protein. It's also got the plus of having more moisture in it. You will have to be very diligent in cleaning the bowl everyday so it doesn't get gross, but that's probably the worst part.
Lilysmommy likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Could he be upset at being away from you? My normal thing is breeding butterflies. One particular pet butterfly I had used to stop eating when I went away and gave him to my parents to babysit. He'd only start eating when I returned. If a butterfly can be upset by someone else looking after them I guess a hedgie definitely can!

BronandLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

What is the medicine for?
MrJsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

He's still mostly only eating chicken when offered to him.
He took a bite out of a dry piece of kibble that I'd wet a little so it was softer, but that's all.
I'm going to keep trying offering the regular food in different ways to try to get him to eat it again.

He's been back home for almost a week now. And he's started to run more at night, but it's not at the same level as before.

He had a small lump on his stomach and the vet cut it and squeezed out some pus - it was just a benign lump. The medicine is kind of like antibiotics because he had that small lump cut, I think.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccadango View Post

He had a small lump on his stomach and the vet cut it and squeezed out some pus - it was just a benign lump. The medicine is kind of like antibiotics because he had that small lump cut, I think.
Poor little guy!
BronandLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm taking him to a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion.

Over this week I've offered different hedgehog foods, and different wet cat/dog foods. He isn't eating any of them regularly.

I heard him pushing the kibble around in his bowl with his nose last night - it's like he's looking for the food he likes but it's not there.
I haven't heard him eat any hard kibble at all for the last week.

He will happily eat chicken still, nibble at egg, and he tries any new foods I put in front of him.

So, I think he must just not want to eat the kibble that is there. But he's pretty normal apart from that. (I made another post about his skin issue - but that could be related to not eating properly I guess.)

I'm going to try a few more different foods to see if he'll eat any of them.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

If you're feeding him hedgehog food then there's a good chance that's why he's not eating it. Hedgehog food is crap and is about as nutritious as cardboard. Give him some of the dry cat food he was getting before and see if he'll eat that. Count the pieces so you'll know if he tried any at all.
happytreecompany likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.