heaters for hedgehog HELP!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default heaters for hedgehog HELP!!

What are the pros and cons of different types of heater for different types of cage? for example, plastic bin, wire cages, C&c cage? what are the type of heater can be use, safe to use and will not burn down your house?

Please help me find a perfect heating device for my lil' baby, winter is fast approaching here in Canada. Right now I am using a plastic bin, I heard that space heater is a good choice, do you know what brand of heater is safe to use and will not burn down our house? and as well as which type of heater is safe to use?

Guys thanks for the help, i really appreciate it!!!
koko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: heaters for hedgehog HELP!!

For a sterilite bin you'll probably do best with a space heater. A ceramic bulb will probably be too hot for the plastic bin, and you can't use an undercage heater either. You'll honestly do best keeping a space heater on (one with a thermostat and safety shut-off.) Many owners use oil heaters.
Hathery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Tristen

I use a space heater, The brand I use is lasko and it can be set to where if it drops below a certain temperature it will kick on until its 2 degrees warmer than what you set. (I keep mine set to 73 Farenheit, so when it hits 72 it kicks on and stays on until it gets up to 75 at which point it will shut back off.) I used it for 2 winters now and its been on consantly w/o issues. I can't seem to find a model number or site with the same one though, sorry

Please contribute to the Toy List and Fruit and Veggie list
Tristen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Koko,

I have used plastic bins since I've had hedgehogs. For me I use an oil filled radiator style space heater (I typically buy the Delonghi brand). I prefer this type as they heat really well but do not get so hot that they will burn you if you bump into them. Plus they will click on and off to regulate the amount of heat they are producing. I keep the room the hedgehogs are in during the winter and allow the rest of the house to remain at a much lower temperature. It has worked very well for me over the years.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I too use an oil filled heater in the hedgie room and it works great. I've used both rotary and digitally controlled ones. One think to keep in mind when deciding which to get, with the digital controlled heaters, if the power goes off for even a few seconds, the heater will shut off and will not turn back on until you turn it back on. Power interruptions make no difference with rotary/rheostat controlled heaters. They will turn right back on when the power is back on. This is something to keep in mind if you work or go to school all day, if the power blinks off 5 minutes after you leave, a digital heater will not come back on until you get home and turn it back on.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Tristen

Mine turns back on if the power goes out. Right after it comes back it will turn on, the only difference is that during these situations it ignores the temp you put in and automatically sets itself to 75. If the power were to stay out though I'd be out of luck with it

Please contribute to the Toy List and Fruit and Veggie list
Tristen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have a heating related question. I have a plastic bin, and I am perfectly willing to invest in a space heater if nothing else works. However, I live in a very small room (dorm) and share my space with Turbo. I don't like it nearly as hot as he does, so I was wondering if there is a safe way to heat his bin without heating the whole room. Like I said, if there aren't any alternatives I'm fine with a space heater, but if there are other options I would love to know what they are.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra
Koko,

I have used plastic bins since I've had hedgehogs. For me I use an oil filled radiator style space heater (I typically buy the Delonghi brand). I prefer this type as they heat really well but do not get so hot that they will burn you if you bump into them. Plus they will click on and off to regulate the amount of heat they are producing. I keep the room the hedgehogs are in during the winter and allow the rest of the house to remain at a much lower temperature. It has worked very well for me over the years.

Hi Kalandra,

Thank you so much. Is that the brand you are using? is there a specific type of that brand that you prefer me to use?
My hedgie is in my room : ) Thanks a lot.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys thanks alot for all the reccomendations!!! : )
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
rtc

I am trying to figure out what I should get for my little guy also. I can just feel the snow coming I know it's a bit early but I am keeping my eyes peeled for a good solution. I have electric heating in my apt. that should provide most of the heat needed but the insulation in this building stinks. I have a feeling that I will have to move Hitch into my bedroom to keep him at the proper temperature during the winter months. I really like the specs / look of the Lasko products.

I was really interested by a ceramic type heater (for reptiles) that Reaper listed in the Heating / Cooling thread at the top of this forum but would worry about it being around Hitch's plastic cage. Can the ceramic heater be mounted to the wall?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

R.
rtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.