Skin flaking in big patches :( Poor baby! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skin flaking in big patches :( Poor baby!

When I first got Winston, his skin was phenomenal.. But recently, he's been having lots of bouts of dry skin. A few months ago, his skin was a little flaky. I started giving him Flax Seed oil in his food every week. That fixed it for a little while, but now it's come back pretty badly. Instead of being fine little flakes, I get fine flakes on his bedding and these super-flakes that I can peel off his body with a pair of tweezers. He's not itching himself too much, but he does scratch himself some. I've also noticed a few quills come out that I'm attributing to this. Two of the quills that I've seen have orange ends, which seem pretty odd to me. I started trying sunshine factor with him, but I'm not 100% sure he likes it - I mix it in with his food, so I'm not entirely sure if he's really enjoying it or not. I don't know if I need to continue trying to give him oatmeal baths and flax seed oil/SF or if I should just take him to the vet.

Oh, and I've been using Aspen shavings with him, but recently switched to a fleece liner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Skin flaking in big patches :( Poor baby!

Orange ends and having used wooden bedding makes it sound like mites. Better schedule a vet appointment and take him in to get some Revolution. Make sure that you insist on Revolution, even if your vet wants to use Ivermectin. Revolution is safe and very hard/impossible to overdose. Ivermectin has been known to cause deaths because it's an injection, very easy to overdose, and it works by paralyzing mites, so an overdose can easily paralyze the hedgie too.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I was thinking too So strange that he would be showing symptoms now considering I've been using the same bag of Aspen shavings since I got him and have no other animals around. But yeah, I've found a few more quills that he's lost that have orange ends, so I'm definitely calling the vet Monday to see when I can bring him in Let's hope I don't have to fight with them to get Revolution! Any suggestions on how to convince them if they're against the idea?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If they really try to insist on Ivermectin after you've given your reasons why, personally, I'd just tell them that you absolutely refuse to risk your hedgehog and that you'll find a different vet. But I wouldn't think they would fight for it that hard, especially if you mention the risks.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Snarf's first vet looked up Inver and Rev and 'assured' me Inver is just as safe.

I said I had heard it can sometimes be lethal.

He looked at me.

I asked very NOT sweetly if he would rather use Rev, which we KNOW is safe or take the chance on Inver, which MAY have issues and he could deal with me later?

He turned around and got the Rev.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Smart man!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ha! I'll definitely have to try that if they insist!

Dog formula, right?

We go to the vet tomorrow (aka april 7th at 3pm - I always say it's not "tomorrow" until I've gone to sleep :P) so hopefully everything will get sorted out! He's still losing quills pretty bad and his skin is flaking pretty badly. I really havent seen him scratch himself though while we've been playing together, but then again I haven't really gotten to see him walking around his cage, because I've been busy working on final projects/papers/exams, etc.

...Although I will say he ran almost 3 miles the other night, according to his wheel-ometer :P So he must be feeling okay! haha
Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

They usually will give the Revolution for Kittens, it comes in a really small tube Good luck at the vets tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ugh.. Today has been a mess.

Well, I went to our Doctor today, and he absolutely flat-out only wanted to do Ivermectin, basically said not to trust what you hear on the internet, and kind of insulted me for not taking his advice. Once I pretty much demanded to get Revolution, he said that he doesn't even carry Revolution. So if I wanted to get it, I would have to call another vet. I called the vet that my family uses for their dogs and cats, and that doctor said that she legally couldn't prescribe it for an off-label use.. BUT they gave me another phone number to call for a different vet that could potentially do it. So I'm seeing a different vet tomorrow that has already agreed to doing it.

Geez.. And I thought he was a pretty good doctor He had said that he's never had any overdoses of Ivermectin and assured me that it was safe. I told him that I would prefer to try the Revolution first and that if that doesn't work, I would use the Ivermectin. Ugh. So much trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.