Hedgehogs and ringworm??? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Hedgehogs and ringworm???

Ok, this is probably going to be for the experts because i can't find an answer anywhere...

Can hedgehogs have/carry ringworm? and if so is it common and what are the signs and symptoms..

I handle stinky daily and I just came down with a red thing the size of a penny where he normally burrows on my side..I went over to my moms house and she says shes positive its ringworm...

I'm not blaming stinky for it but i also want to be safe and not sorry....Since finding it I haven't been handling him since im worried about passing it along in case they can get it...

and for people who have no clue what ringworm is...its not a worm lol its a fungi infection....which is why i was thinking it came from Stinky

Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehogs and ringworm???

It's hard to say without pictures but one possibility is its an allergic reaction from where the quills might have poked into the skin a little bit. Sometimes people will have contact allergies like that. Once in awhile I'll get redness in a circle because it will happen within a certain radius of where my skin got poked, a lot of times this happens to me when I go to give one of my hedgies a bath because they are already at a state where I think they need a bath so the dirty quills can play into it. I'm not saying for sure this is it, just something I know does happen a lot to people. I don't think ringworm is that common in the aph, I know of that one infamous story but outside of that it doesn't seem to happen very frequently. If it is a contact allergy benedryll cream can do wonders to help it out and stop any itching. If its ring worm then you'll want to see the doctor to get an anti fungal topical cream, there's other things you can get over the counter but I have heard from others that it doesn't beat the strength of the one a doctor would give.

Hope it ends up being something easily remedied
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

What I have is ringworm...like 100% sure. I'm already on a topical treatment

I could have gotten it from work I'm an EMT and around anything and everything

I'm more worried about Stinky and if its possible that he could somehow get it from me and what i would have to look out for in him...I know incubation is about 7-10 days, and that's about it...Right now there's nothing weird going on with him or on him but like i said id rather be safe than sorry
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, it can be transfered back and forth.
There have been a few cases of it. Perhaps try doing a search(located upper right corner) for ringworm and see what comes up.(I'd pull some threads up from the search, but I'm just really tired lol but I figured I'd reply, in case you're a night owl too). The "infamous story" is well.... infamous and a bit O.o wtf, but at least you can sift through what you can do for your hedgie.

Hedgie quills can make it easier for us to get ringworm, because their quills penetrate just enough of our skin to allow the infection to get in easier.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyHedgie
Ok, this is probably going to be for the experts because i can't find an answer anywhere...

Can hedgehogs have/carry ringworm? and if so is it common and what are the signs and symptoms..

I handle stinky daily and I just came down with a red thing the size of a penny where he normally burrows on my side..I went over to my moms house and she says shes positive its ringworm...

I'm not blaming stinky for it but i also want to be safe and not sorry....Since finding it I haven't been handling him since im worried about passing it along in case they can get it...

and for people who have no clue what ringworm is...its not a worm lol its a fungi infection....which is why i was thinking it came from Stinky
Yes hedgehogs can have/carry ringworm and yes it can be pasted onto you. You can also pass it onto your hedgehog.

In hedgehogs it would appear as dry crusty areas sometimes red and inflamed looking on a hedgehog, quills loss is likely as well in the spots they have the crusty areas.

In yourself, Size can vary but it is generally a round red crusty raised area on any part of your body, Most places it would be is were he snuggles into your on bare skin. Doesn't also form a ring it can be an entire fill in circle.

I've attached a couple of pics of Ringworm on a hedgehog, this was my girl Romani before she came home from the breeders. This is about 2 weeks after infection and she was on medication and an anti fungal shampoo.

Vet can give you medication (I forget the name but can find out if you like) and a anti fungal shampoo for Stinky to be on the safe side.

Yourself, just use a topical treatment cream and it should clear up.

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Also 100% got ringworm after I brought my hedgies home. What medicine and shampoo did you use? I have 6 hedgies and don't want any of them to get it or if they have it I want to treat it
hedgiemomma911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

there's an ongoing discussion on the Hedgehog Welfare Society mail-list on this very topic.

Papillion--i'd be interested to hear about that anti-fungal shampoo.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedcircle
Papillion--i'd be interested to hear about that anti-fungal shampoo.
We see an exotic vet this weekend and I will ask all about ringworm...I have two mysterious little circles that look suspiciously like ringworm and Snarf's flaking skin...well...the vet here did check Snarf for ringworm at his first checkup in December and the test was negative but still...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If the ringworm is in the quill area it can be very difficult to see in initial stages. Same with checking for it. Did the vet use a Woods lamp or send away a skin scraping for culture. The Woods lamp is not always accurate.

There are creams, shampoos, pills, powders and a sulphur dip that will cure ringworm. Do NOT do the sulphur dips. They are horrible and stink like crazy and can cause blindness if it gets in their eyes. The pills are probably the least traumatic for the hedgehog.

Not everyone or every animal exposed to ringworm will get it but for those that are more susceptible, it can be gotten through the air or off clothing that an infected person or animal has touched. It can be highly contagious.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd love to know what shampoo to use
hedgiemomma911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.