Hedgehog pee- sweet smell? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog pee- sweet smell?

I just picked up my first hedgehog from a family who no longer had time for him. He is 7 months old and the most adorable thing i've ever seen. I have his cage in my room and he himself doesn't give off any odour and he's nice and clean but it is either his feces or his pee but there is a smell emanating from the cage. The smell is very sweet, almost sickly sweet like maple syrup. Is there anything to be worried about? I've never seen him drink but he's obviously alone sometimes and I feel that when he's most active (still scared of me) so I hope he is not dehydrated. Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you!
vogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog pee- sweet smell?

in humans thats a sign of diabetes. the sweet smell comes from the excess sugars being excreted. id keep an eye onit.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have no idea what it could be, though like Lilliana, diabetes was my first thought. I don't know whether that would be a sign of the same thing in a hedgehog, though, as I've never encountered it personally. I suggest calling your vet to get their opinion.

What kind of water source do you use (bowl or bottle)? What kind of food is he on, including treats? Does he seem to be a normal weight - can he curl up fully into a ball? Just some info that might help.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am googling diabetes in a hedgehog and the only symptom ever listed is excessive drinking so I will monitor his water intake. He drinks from a bowl so this could be challenging. I will also try to collect a urine sample and check for excess sugars with a test strip (I know it is random that I have some). He is definitely not under weight, and I wouldn't say he is obese. The previous owners didn't even have a wheel for him, so I bought one today (his first full day with me) and he's already loving it. I hope that it's not something equivalent to.. say, type 2 diabetes in humans!

He is also on some crappy hedgehog food (nutrient rich hedgehog diet) but I bought Innova low fat adult cat food today and mixed a little with his old food. Surprisingly he only ate the new food! He also has some ultra bites treats that the family gave to me. I bought him mealworms today so i'll be starting those soon as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

ive also heard that diabetes can cause this but ive never heard of a hedgie with diabetes? either way id go to a vet because could also be an infection or something metabolic
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue
Surprisingly he only ate the new food!
Not surprising at all. Commercial hedgehog foods are full of fillers, and don't have much nutritional content, so hedgehogs will often go right for something new and better when they have the chance.

I would still recommend contacting your vet for a professional opinion. Good luck with your new boy!

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

I'd also recommend taking him in to see a vet, just in case. Other than checking for diabetes, maybe check for some sort of infection or illness.

The main 2 signs in my girl was the sickly sweet smell, it was super strong! She also drank a ton, it was like she was constantly thirsty.

If it is diabetes, you'll need a special diet and will need to keep a close eye on his weight. I have a list of foods on my other computer, if you need them let me know!

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeansrabbitry
If it is diabetes, you'll need a special diet and will need to keep a close eye on his weight. I have a list of foods on my other computer, if you need them let me know!
Is she on any special medication and did she gain or lose weight because he's not underweight at all, or even too pudgy. i'm going to start weighing him daily, i just need to know what i'm looking for
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

No medication, just a very strict diet. She did have a problem gaining weight very easily. If he's at a normal weight, I wonder if he has an infection like a UTI, not sure if it would smell like that though.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

even if your tracking his wait i would take him to a vet ASAP if hes got diabetes you need to treat it before it becomes a problem and he starts losing wieght

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.