hedge hog losing a lot of quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedge hog losing a lot of quills

My hedge hog lily is over a year old and just today started losing a lot of quills. I am not sure if this us just because I gave her a bath and cleaned all of her stuff. I scrubbed her a little rough when bathing get, she had caked on crap in her quills I have no idea how. I'm really worried something is wrong. I did feed her two or three grapes over the past two days. I know I'm not stored to do that now but I'm really worried about her. She hasn't lost her appetite or anything. I just nee to know if this is something I should go to the vet for as soon as possible or if I can wait for an appointment. Any help or suggestions on what to look for to make sure she is okay. I don't think she has mites or anything like that.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hedge hog losing a lot of quills

Oh, please stop feeding her grapes right away. There's a post about toxic items for hedgies and grapes are toxic. As far as the quills go, it could be a number of things. Are there any bald spots? Some hedgies have had problems with bacterial, fungal and yeast infections, which has caused quill loss. I think you can wait for an appointment, but make it soon. But, if she's acting weird or sickly, it could be from the grapes (or another cause). In that case, I'd get her to the vet right away. But just for quill loss, it can't wait until tomorrow.

Toxic Items for Hedgies

http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi....php?f=33&t=40

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: hedge hog losing a lot of quills

yeah I know not to feed them to her now. And I will look out for worsening signs. I was thinking it might be due to stress or something but I will get her an appointment as soon as I can just to be sure. Last thing I want is anything to happen to her or her to get really sick.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.