Scratching at bottom of cage. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scratching at bottom of cage.

Hey everyone, so I've had my hedgehog for just shy of two months now (she was 10 weeks old when I got her from a breeder), and she seems to have a big problem with scratching at the bottom of her cage. It's a plastic bottomed cage and I use pine shavings for bedding. I understand they like to dig, but she'll sit in the same spot just scratching at the plastic bottom compulsively for 15-30 minutes at a time. It seems to be happening more frequently lately, and is a bit of an issue since I keep her in my bedroom, and her scratching has woken me up more than once, and makes it a real pain to try and fall back asleep.

Has anyone else had this problem before? What would you recommend I do to discourage her from scratching at the bottom of the cage? Or, what would you recommend I do to reduce the noise it causes?

Thanks
Shaqsquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Scratching at bottom of cage.

Both of my hedgies have been doing a lot of scratching at the bottom of the cage this week, in my case it seems like it is coinciding with storms that are moving through the area. This may or may not be the case with your hedgie but wanted to share just in case it helped
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have much to comment about the digging, because even if you made her a dig box, the scratching noise will still probably be loud.

However, take out the pine shavings. It's toxic to all small animals, as it reacts to urine and emits toxic fumes. Most people here use fleece liners, but if you must use shavings, switch to aspen.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Fleece liners would also be quieter. Instead of nails scratching on plastic, it would be nails on fabric. Not to mention less expensive in the long run & safer.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

@PJM: As long as you tack down the sides and make sure the hedgehog can't get under the liner. Hester spent the first month doing this to me, and the cage was basically next to my head and bed.

I use to just bump the side of the cage and say "Hey" at her. I'm just curious as to what the temperature is? She might be scratching down to get at the 'cool' plastic bottom of her cage, or she's just digging. The others are right about the pine, its no good at all, ASPEN if you still want to use wood shavings, is the only safe one. Everyone here uses fabric liners such as fleece, its a little more work since you got to spot clean everyday, but it helps out, as you can see urine color (in case of sickness) and its softer on their feets.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

From a fleece perspective, I had a similar problem. I ended stuffing more and more fleece into her pigloo and that seemed to help, along with various mugs I have anchoring down the edges of the fleece. Either that or growth, there's less "digging" now. No matter, hope you find something that works for you.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.