allergic reaction/rash from hedgehog?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy allergic reaction/rash from hedgehog??

I rescued a hedgehog from an abusive situation and he is very agressive.....while trying to work with him he would hiss pop and click.
well i made the mistake of trying to pet him, because my other hedgehogs are very friendly and love to be held but he popped and now my hand is messed.
It started out as puncture holes but now looks likes blisters......i was wondering if anyone had an allergic reaction like this.....i'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow.....but wanted to see if this is common......thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.JPG (80.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 124 - Copy (389x500).jpg (110.2 KB, 24 views)
momofhedgehogs1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: allergic reaction/rash from hedgehog??

Yikes! That looks hurty! What was he being kept on, and has he been bathed since coming home? I have had a similar reaction to hedgies being kept on shavings-- when they are bathed regularly and kept on fleece or soft particulate bedding, I have much less of an issue. I still get little red prickles, but not full-out hives. You may, like me, be having a reaction to something on his quills, rather than he himself.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have eczema?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah it doesn't feel good at all.....when i got him he was in wood shavings....i never even thought of that causing a reaction because i normally use carefresh! Normally i'm fine with my hedgehogs, i've been poked many times and nothing like this has ever happened so it must be the bedding or something on his quills maybe. I'll send an update after the doctor tomorrow......o and i've never been told i have eczema....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

seeing how you haven't had this bad reaction with the others you've handled i think it's safe to say its a reaction to something on the quills with bedding being the leading culprit!

Definately update with what the Dr. says! hope it gets better soon!
Kpjenk21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

thank you for the reply! I will be sure to update you guys tomorrow! kinda nervous....i don't want him to band me from my hedgehogs lol....i'm to addicted My hedgies are like my children so i'm hoping this was just some crazy reaction that won't happen again. I can handle my original hedgehogs that i had before the rescue because my original hedgies NEVER spike or puff..... but i've had this for 2 weeks and i wasn't able to handle the rescue anymore because he was to agressive and was hurting my hand further so i found him a really super good home, he gets so spoiled so don't worry (it's a friend so i know he is safe and VERY well taken care of )
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

The first month or two that I had Sophie, I had some minor reactions pretty frequently. I started washing my hands very thoroughly after handling her. I would get some pretty severe inflammation under 'pinprick' points (quite painful, actually). They felt very swollen, even though there wasn't anything to drain. I wound up lancing them to get at the affected tissue and soaking in hydrogen peroxide. That took care of fixing me up quite nicely, and the whole issue went away after a couple of months.

I haven't had any problems since and think that I've built up an immunity of sorts. I don't make a big deal about washing up any more and have had no problems since those first couple of months. The quills are probably an ideal vector for transmitting bacteria and allowing that bacteria to be sealed under the skin (the pricks being so tiny). It wouldn't surprise me that some people have a lot of problems and have to be very careful on a permanent basis.

Sophie gets three foot and belly baths a week. To keep her occupied she gets her quills brushed, which she likes, and which probably does a lot to help keep them pretty clean also.

My first guess is that you are taking quite a few tiny pricks and having a reaction to a contamination under the skin.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I only recently learned that I have atypical eczema. I used to think I just had lots of skin rashes. They looked like allergic reactions, not the scaly eczema.

I had a horrible reaction right after we got Knarla. Like, full body. I was so worried it was her. She might have triggered it a bit, but the week long freak out was due to my eczema.

I moisturize twice a day and after showers now, and am strict with detergents and such I use for her.

She was REALLY dirty when I got her, so she could have triggered the initial event, but it wasnt really that I was allergic to her.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Clean the area well and put some antibacterial cream and anti itch cream. Take some allergy meds.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been a hedgie mom to 3 hedgies over the last few years.

Daisy, Annie and Chole.

I never had a reaction with Daisy, nor Annie,... but my last rescue Choloe that's another story.

When she first came home I got a horrible rash, but only where her quills touched me, even through the clothing, so if she was on my stomach I'd take off my shirt to find a massive ammount of red blisters... the ones on my hands used to be like little painful puss filled pimples... arghhh. But the more she's been bathed the less severe the reaction... now almost a year and a half later it's just a mild marking of red dots I'll get and they'll disappear within the hour of touching her. But her quills appear to be pin sharp at the tips, whereas if I look at Annie's my bitty albino's... hers are more rounded...

Thankfully Chloe is more of an independant hedgie, so at least she's not a cuddler so I don't feel too much of the affects of the rash.
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.