Sandpaper - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sandpaper

I'm looking for a safe, non-toxic sandpaper that I can place under two ramps. My hedgie spends most of his daytime hours under these ramps, where he scratches the floor numerous times a day while rearranging his bedding of wood shavings. Since he's going to spend so much time scratching I want him to be sanding his toenails at the same time.

His first exercise wheel was the biggest Wodent Wheel I could buy but I could never get the sandpaper track because the company was always out of stock. I stopped using that wheel because of the cleanup hassle involved when he relieved himself on it while running. Taking the Wodent Wheel apart every day and reassembling it became too time consuming. I'm now using the 12 inch KAYTEE Silent Spinner, which as we all know is not silent, but it provides my hedgie with a solid surface that will not damage his toes or his nails and it takes less than five minutes to properly clean and disinfect it. I'm still looking for the best wheel I can provide him but my choices seem to be limited.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't want sandpaper on an exercise wheel he seems to think is his bathroom. I spent a lot of time attempting to potty train him but he's stubborn. He's in a large Guinea Habitat enclosure, divided into two sections.

Can someone recommend something I can place under his ramps, whether it's sandpaper, emery cloth or something else. I can always glue it to something if it doesn't have a hard backing.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.
Sichuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

The thing with sandpaper is that he's going to wind up tearing up his feet with it. You might try putting in a tile that isn't smooth in there and see if that will work. Just something with a little texture rather than being slick and smooth. Something that mimics stone. That would also have the added benefit of being a cool spot for him to lay on in the summer if it gets really hot.

Now, that being said, I'm super glad you switched off the Wodent Wheel, but Silent Spinners are not a safe wheel for hedgehogs. Really, I wouldn't put any animal on them, but hedgehogs especially. The problem (ignoring the often shoddy construction) is the little holes where the white and colored plastic parts meet. Hedgehogs tend to get their toes caught in them which has caused some nasty injuries. Lost toes, broken limbs, cuts. For commercial bought wheels, you'd want either a Comfort Wheel or a Flying Saucer wheel. There's been reports of the quality of the Flying Saucers not being as good as they once were, but it's been quite a while since I've heard anything about it. I'm a fan of the Comfort Wheels myself. I've been using the same one for nearly 3 years now with no issues. Alternatively, you could order a bucket wheel, or even make one yourself. There's plenty of guides online of how to do it.
Sichuan likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sandpaper will just shred the pads of your hedgehogs feet. They run on the pads of their feet so by the time his nails would touch th sand paper they would be dangerously long. If your hedgehog scratches at the sandpaper he will end up damaging his feet.

Silent spinner wheels are very dangerous and have injured many hedgehogs. The small slits are know to catch nails and tear them off.
ArizonaHazelnut and Sichuan like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you, shinydistraction, for your prompt reply. I appreciate it very much.

I like the idea of putting tiles in the cage. I'll go to Home Depot and Lowes tomorrow and see what I can find. There are a few natural stone and cultured stone dealers in my area also. Perhaps I could find something there. I'll forget about the sandpaper. I don't want to harm the little guy in any way.

I actually did a lot of research on pet exercise wheels before I bought one, which was the Wodent Wheel. He really liked that one and would come out in the daytime to run on it. I suppose he felt safe and protected within the walls of the wheel. He would look at me through the holes when he was running. I used Super Glue on the Silent Spinner when I first bought it so that I could lock the two sides of the wheel in place. I just took a close look at the Silent Spinner and I can't find a suitable manner in which to close or cover the tiny slits between the plastic pieces so I ordered an 11 inch Treadmill Wheel from Exotic Nutrition. I should have it in a few days. It's a solid metal "flying saucer" wheel utilizing ball bearings so I'm hoping it will be quiet, although that's really not a big concern of mine.

I'm also thinking of expanding his Guinea Habitat. It's currently 2 feet by 4 feet and that's just not enough room for him. I'm looking at the extra large Living World Deluxe Habitat. It's seems to be very nice and I can connect it to his current Guinea Habitat. This will double his living area. I'm thinking about putting a 12 inch Comfort Wheel in this addition so he'll have two different exercise wheels to use. Is the Comfort Wheel you speak of the KAYTEE Comfort Wheel? I've seen a lot of complaints about the Comfort Wheel being noisy and breaking on the spindle frame but I'm willing to buy one anyway because I've also seen a lot of positive statements about it. It should be just as easy to clean and disinfect as the Silent Spinner.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Sandpaper will just shred the pads of your hedgehogs feet. They run on the pads of their feet so by the time his nails would touch th sand paper they would be dangerously long. If your hedgehog scratches at the sandpaper he will end up damaging his feet.

Silent spinner wheels are very dangerous and have injured many hedgehogs. The small slits are know to catch nails and tear them off.
Thank you, nikki. I appreciate your prompt reply. I've decided to do without the sandpaper. I'm an animal lover and I care very deeply about their needs whether that animal is domesticated, wild or a farm animal, so I don't want to do anything that would hurt my little hedgehog.
nikki likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

It probably is KAYTEE now. I think the name has changed over the years. In general, just closely inspect anything you get before it goes in the cage. I'm sure there have been some that broke easily, but mine is old and still going strong. I was able to make it a little quieter using graphite, you just have to make sure you really clean all the excess off really well. You might still check out making a bucket wheel. You would get more say on what it's like.
Sichuan likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Please just switch to fleece.. Why anyone would want hedgehog rolling around in wood shavings, is beyond me. Fleece is just that much easier to clean, change, safer, etc etc.

Floyd used to live in some pretty unsanitary conditions, the people before me used shredded paper. When I brough my little guy home, my room smelled like a zoo. I changed the bedding and he just smells great all the time now. I smell him all the time =))

You can make a Carolina wheel for cheap too!!All you need is the cake lid itself, a rollerblade wheel, zipties, some plastic piping. If you want I can upload pics of it so you can see how it's put together. Your hedgehog will love you for it.
Sichuan likes this.

Last edited by Floyd; 01-11-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Please just switch to fleece.. Why anyone would want hedgehog rolling around in wood shavings, is beyond me. Fleece is just that much easier to clean, change, safer, etc etc.

Floyd used to live in some pretty unsanitary conditions, the people before me used shredded paper. When I brough my little guy home, my room smelled like a zoo. I changed the bedding and he just smells great all the time now. I smell him all the time =))

You can make a Carolina wheel for cheap too!!All you need is the cake lid itself, a rollerblade wheel, zipties, some plastic piping. If you want I can upload pics of it so you can see how it's put together. Your hedgehog will love you for it.
Why anyone would want to use a bedding type which is completely unnatural and does literally nothing for the hedgehog but only benefits the owner, is beyond me.

Fleece is one of the most hedgehog-unfriendly bedding types. It has about zero benefits for the hedgehog, but is invented as something easy and cheap for the owner. The only minor benefit for the hog might be the fact it's so unnatural and sterile, it's "safe".
Wood shavings aren't my favourite, but provide a better option for the hedgehog. It's up to the owner what they prefer and what they find more important.
Now, if you do want to switch to fleece, I recommend adding lots of other stuff so your hedgehog can still be a hedgehog and act on it's natural behaviour. It's doable on fleece, but asks for quite a lot of extra modifications which you don't need (as much) on other bedding types. I would personally never recommend fleece without any extra adjustments.

(Of course that first part was just joking as a bit of an exaggeration in copying you )
Sichuan likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
It probably is KAYTEE now. You might still check out making a bucket wheel. You would get more say on what it's like.
Thank you again for your input. I ordered the KAYTEE Comfort Wheel. It should arrive tomorrow. I also ordered the X-Large Living World Deluxe Habitat, which is where I'll put the Comfort Wheel. It will arrive Friday. I like the Guinea Habitat I already have but closing the top sections can be a hassle at times. If the Living World Deluxe Habitat is as nice as it seems to be I'll probably get a second one and connect the two together.

As I mentioned earlier I spent a lot of time researching all the small pet exercise wheels before I bought the Wodent Wheel. I wasn't aware that some small pets relieve themselves while running on an exercise wheel or I would not have bought the Wodent Wheel. Taking the Wodent Wheel apart and cleaning all three pieces once or twice a day simply wasn't worth the time and effort. It's currently sitting in my garage, ready for an extreme emergency. I'm familiar with the bucket wheels you speak of but I don't think I'll buy one or build one. If the Comfort Wheel doesn't last I'll simply buy another one and reinforce it. I covered the seam and openings in the Silent Spinner I'm using with duct tape so that I can protect the little guy's feet and nails until the KAYTEE Comfort Wheel and Treadmill Wheel from Exotic Nutrition arrive, at which time I'll store the Silent Spinner in case I have to use it for a day or two if one of the other two wheels break. I should have the Treadmill Wheel in a few days. I've done a lot of work with specialty epoxies in the past and I think I'll be able to use a non-toxic epoxy to seal the seam openings in the Silent Spinner, which seems to be holding up quite well.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post

Thank you for your reply, Floyd. I tried fleece and neither my hedgie nor I cared for it. I use very soft pine shavings in his cage and change it every two days. I clean the bottom of his canvas cage with soap and water before replenishing the wood shavings. I have never had an odor problem. I'm not interested in the paper bedding because of the odor reducing agents in it and I think paper bedding is woefully overpriced. The little guy loves his wood shavings, burrowing in it and rearranging it to his satisfaction. He couldn't be happier.

I'm very familiar with the Carolina Wheel but I have no desire to either buy one or build one, although I appreciate your offer to upload some photos of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.