Sandpaper - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenog View Post
Wood shavings aren't my favourite, but provide a better option for the hedgehog. It's up to the owner what they prefer and what they find more important.
Thank you for your reply, Draenog. As I mentioned to Floyd, I've found fleece to be unsatisfactory to both my hedgie and me. My little hedgie absolutely loves the soft pine wood shavings I use. He loves rearranging and burrowing in the four inch deep wood shavings. He constantly does this during the day.

His favorite resting places are under the two ramps in his cage. I'm currently looking for some sand textured ceramic tiles or natural sandstone to place under these ramps so that he can keep his tiny nails filed down. I just bought a X-Large Living World Deluxe Habitat, which has a covered section that will provide him with an additional place to hide and sleep during the daytime hours. I will place sand textured ceramic tile or natural sandstone under his bedding in this area also. I'll buy another heat pad that will cover half of this sleeping area so that he can use it if he so desires. The heat pad under the cage he's living in now is under his hut and he prefers to lay half his body on the pad and the other half of his body on the canvas bottom. He refuses to sleep in his hut, although he'll enter it for short periods of time.
Sichuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

True, maybe wood isn't that bad after all. They want to burrow..

Use what you want. and pine is deadly to them you should know it.
Sichuan likes this.

Last edited by Floyd; 01-11-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

pine is very dangerous for hedgehogs if you really want to use shavings aspen is the only way but i absolutely recommend fleece. its cozy, sanitary, and if you cut some fleece strips then you have a snuggly place to burrow without the risk of a wood shaving getting stuck in their genitals or the cage being dusty. fleece is awesome!
Sichuan likes this.

visit our etsy store
happytreecompany is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Uncured pine can be very dangerous. However, if it's properly cured and ventilation is provided it's generally regarded as being fine. This link goes into more depth.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/bedding.shtml
Sichuan likes this.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

i didnt know that! thanks prue still a fleece fan but good to know just in case
Prue and Sichuan like this.

visit our etsy store
happytreecompany is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Awesome that you're expanding your hedgie's cage! I made my own C&C cage, and hope to expand it again soon.

You mentioned having a heating pad for your hedgie. Have you considered using something else? Everything I've read and heard from breeders suggest that heating pads can be dangerous because they can cause burns and they don't heat the air, which is what hedgies need (air temperature should be around 75-80 degrees). If people use a heating pad, it seems like it's usually for supplement heat after a hibernation attempt, and is closely monitored at all times. A lot of folks either heat the whole house (yikes on the electric bill!), use a space heater, or go with a CHE bulb set up. I use a CHE myself, and love it! If you're interested, there is tons of info in the heating section of the forum.

Have a great day!
Sichuan likes this.
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Kiln dried pine is perfectly safe. If it smells like a pine tree then it isn't kiln dried and that isn't safe.
Sichuan likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

nikki is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
True, maybe wood isn't that bad after all. They want to burrow..

Use what you want. and pine is deadly to them you should know it.
Thanks again, Floyd. I did a lot of research upon my wife receiving the little guy as a birthday gift. I read many articles that stated that pine shavings should not be used with hedgehogs but then again, I read a lot of articles that stated that pine shavings were OK to use with hedgehogs. By the same token, I read a lot of articles that stated that aspen shavings were toxic to hedgehogs and a lot of articles that stated that aspen shavings were OK to use with hedgehogs. Long story short: I've used both with my little hedgie and he burrows into them with no ill effects. I prefer the soft pine shavings because they are more uniform and they are not nearly as hard as the aspen shavings.

The pine shavings I use are cured, kiln dried and contain no toxins and no wood dust. They are very thin, which makes them very soft. They actually control odor much better than the aspen shavings. They present no danger to the little guy.

I do appreciate your opinions.
nikki likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytreecompany View Post
pine is very dangerous for hedgehogs if you really want to use shavings aspen is the only way but i absolutely recommend fleece. its cozy, sanitary, and if you cut some fleece strips then you have a snuggly place to burrow without the risk of a wood shaving getting stuck in their genitals or the cage being dusty. fleece is awesome!
Thank you for your reply, happytreecompany. I appreciate it. I understand what you are saying. I use very soft, cured, kiln dried, non-toxic, dust free pine shavings and have not had any problems. I monitor the little guy constantly and if I determine that the pine shavings are negatively affecting him in any way you can rest assured that I will choose a different bedding. As I mentioned before, I've tried using fleece and didn't particularly care for it.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prue View Post
Uncured pine can be very dangerous. However, if it's properly cured and ventilation is provided it's generally regarded as being fine. This link goes into more depth.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/bedding.shtml
Thank you for the reply, Prue. I use cured, kiln dried, not toxic and dust free soft pine wood shavings and the little guy loves it. I'm currently adding a second 2 ft. X 4 ft. cage to the one he currently lives in, so that he can go from one cage to another when he so desires, giving him twice the living area he currently has and twice the locations where he can happily burrow and hide. He's now in a Large Guinea Habitat cage, which is fully ventilated. His new addition, an X-Large Living World Deluxe Pet Habitat, is also mostly a wire cage with good ventilation.
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.