Hedgehog Central banner

Can you clean your hedgie's cage too much?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shooterhedgie 
#1 ·
I change the fleece in my cage every Thursday and Sunday. I think this is in part because I like to do this and that is just my personality my bedding is washed very regular too! We also wash the wheel everyday and once a week I wash the coroplast with vinegar and water. Am I going overboard? Does this harm Shooter? He is very use to it by now and I hope it is ok to do this...but I would like some thoughts on this.

#2 ·
Sounds like a perfectly fine schedule to me, really. Given how much they can poop and how quickly that poop can get everywhere, it seems safest to clean pretty often. :lol: I think the general rule of thumb is a full weekly cage cleaning anyway. And most people have to wash the wheel everyday, it gets so covered in poop, and I think there's some that have to change liners even more often, if they have a messy hog. So you're fine. :)

#3 ·
Lilysmommy said:
... and I think there's some that have to change liners even more often, if they have a messy hog. So you're fine. :)
+1. That's me lately. :roll: Milly insists on running on her wheel, pooping and peeing, then tromping around her entire cage with wet poop boots. *Gag* I literally have to clean everything in her cage almost every day, and I change the liner a minimum of 3 times a week. I don't know what's up with her, but this all started when I attempted to keep paper towel under her wheel. I did that for like 4 nights and gave it up because she chewed the paper towel and scattered it everywhere. After she got it poopy. So, I think you're schedule is just fine :D

Oh, the joys of hedgehog ownership :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.