Changing a hedgehogs sleeping schedule to sleeping at night - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog CentralChatroomGalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changing a hedgehogs sleeping schedule to sleeping at night

Would it be okay to leave the light off during the day, and turn the light on all night for 12 hours? I don't see why it wouldn't. He'd still be getting the 12-14 hours of light needed, and wouldn't know that he was sleeping at night because he'd think it was daytime since the light will be on.
Desperodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Changing a hedgehogs sleeping schedule to sleeping at night

Animals have internal clocks that let's them know when it's day and when it's night. So even if you keep him in a windowless room and turn the lights off, he will still know something is different. It's also harmful to the health of the hedgehog to force him from being nocturnal on your own personal whim. It's been said that it's possible for them to become sick and more prone to illness so it's always been considered a bad idea.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Even by changing the light schedule I am fairly certain they still have enough animal instinct to know the difference between day and night even if you only had the light on at night. I can't say for sure but I would assume it could have adverse effects on them long term to switch their natural sleeping schedule. Its not unheard of for a hedgehog to be up all day and sleep during the night though its usually an interesting personality quark. Hopefully one of the more experienced hedgehog owners/breeders can say with more confidence a direct answer.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

The night day cycle is so much more than just light and dark. People have tried to switch them and it can make them sick and neurotic.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

^They covered the important stuff.

Just wanted to add that I started working 3rd shift (10pm-9am) about 2 months ago, and it really drains me. Humans aren't made to be awake all night and to sleep during the days. The same way that hedgies aren't made to sleep at night. If you suddenly were forced to sleep during the day, and stay awake all night long, it would affect you negatively and you'd probably resent the person that made you go against nature.

Your hedgie will be happier and healthier if you let him continue to go with the flow.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've started Quillow's schedule as in the morning, I feed her, water her, and clean her litter pan and wheel. At 3pm, I wake her up, let her eat and drink, take her out, hold her, and put her in her playpen for a little while. Sometime in between 10pm and 11pm, she wakes up on her own and runs in her wheel, eats and poops. I would say Quillow still is nocturnal but definatly has been waking up earlier and earlier around 10 and 11 since I brought her home. It's just me making a schedule for her and it seems to be working so far!

PrincessZebra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.